Playing smart pad chords using external MIDI gear

I’m considering buying a Pyramid but am wondering: Is it possible to play the smart pad chords (both built-in and custom) using external MIDI gear? So for example, could I connect a Launchpad or similar and have all chords laid out on velocity-sensitive pads, rather than having to flick through the pages and play them on the Pyramid’s fixed-velocity buttons?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @kjekac,

Yes it’s possible.
Under Settings > MIDI In > Assign Note To = Smartpads

You can read more in the manual.

Cheers,

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! However according to the manual that you linked, MIDI can only be routed to the “Chord”, “Repeat” and “Scale” functions of the smart pads, i.e. not “Custom”. Is this correct?

Furthermore, are these functions mutually exclusive? Or could I for example send MIDI from Controller A to the Scale function, while MIDI from controller B is sent to the Chord (or Custom?) function of the same track?

MIDI can only be routed to the “Chord”, “Repeat” and “Scale” functions of the smart pads, i.e. not “Custom”. Is this correct?

No, that’s probably poor wording on our part. You can trig Custom chords as well.

To summarize, the 8 Smartpads can be in Four modes: CHORD , SCALE, REPEAT or CUSTOM. These four modes are mutually exclusive.
the setting “Assign Note to = Smartpads” simply simulates a button press on one of these pads when receiving a note on, and a button release when receiving a note off message. As such, this setting inherits this mutually exclusive.
Using two MIDI controllers won’t help in that regard.

2 Likes

Great, thank you for the detailed answer! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.