Offset question

I understand that if I play a sloppy triplet, I just offset the 2nd note to 33% and the third note to 66%… It makes sense but… I can not think in between that… in other words what does 40% mean? Can I think of it as note vaule?

I also understand that if my timing is off I can then place the notes at 0% offset. I also know that I can do group offset “fixes”.

Sometimes I see a percentage above the offset percentage. What is that there for?

I also am not sure I am getting the whole picture. Is that 100% offset would be the next note at the zoom level? I guess I am asking how does zoom and offset work together.

I went to tighten up a recording. I thought I had played all 16th, 8th, and quarter notes, but when I did a batch change of the offset, things become funky.

Also is there a way to get a nine 16th note pattern?

Thank you for your help and patience. Using a DAW has been a bit different due to just changing the grid. For example if I need to clean up sloppy triplets, I end up looking at 12 steps per measure, or 24… the others are typically in groups of 16.

Again thank you.

yes offset % is percentage of the offset of the current zoom.

so 50% @ 1/16th (zoom) would be 1/32nd
now if you zoom in, it wont be offset (so 0%) , since it will now be on the appropriate step

(but imagine 55% @ 1/16th, when you zoom in to 1/32, the step will have a 10% offset)

when you have more than one note on that step, that have different offset %,
then it shows the min and max offset.

I think your other question, seem to revolve around a common question,
which is basically can I work with a grid that is not divisible by 2.

(this is required if you are going to use quantisation)

no - you cannot set a ‘triplet grid’ (common request), as you can in a daw,
thats because the pyramid allows you to have customisable time signatures per track, which combined with zoom - which allow you to do something pretty similar but for a different ‘perspective’

its a bit of a complex topic, so Id refer you to other answers on the forum (search triplets :wink: )
I think the latest is perhaps the clearest… but there are a few that go into other ways, and also deeper into the topic. https://squarp.community/t/triplets-workflow/655/21

really we would need to see before and after, and what you did exactly.

if you used quantisation, a lot of this depends on the grid size you used.
as its going to just move anything > 50% to next note (0% offset) and remove offset if < 50%.

unfortunately there is no ‘quantisation amount’ on the quantisation fx,
but you can kind of do this manually by selecting groups of notes (or all notes on track) and then just changing the offset encoder of all notes, but a particular amount.

2 Likes

Thank you, that answer is awesome. I think it has cleared many things up for me because it tells me how things are working.

I had that ahhh ha moment. Maybe I would of find my way there but it would of taken a lot of experimentation. Again thank you.

Zoom and Time Sigs are at the fundamental basis for the Pyramid. I am sure I have read that, but know I am starting to see it. Which are the two areas I have thought of as tools not as flow… if that makes any sense. For example, if I wrote a song in 4/4, I would only grab a different time sig to create a different part. If I wanted polyrhythms, I would try to record them in, and then find the grid that would help me clean them up (due to my sloppy playing). I will also note, that I have not done any compositional work since 2010.

Pyramid is like if a step sequencer and a DAW hooked up and had a child. Pyramid is also a full sequencer, and in part acts like both of the parents, but is not exactly the same, and does things its own way.

1 Like