Novation Peak - notes latching on

that does not sounds relevant to your main issue.
if you start changing channels whilst note on messages are active, that is going to very likely cause a note hang, since I bet it’ll send the note off to the new channel.

of course, it could be coded for (so its a bug in that sense) , but its not really something that happens in normal usage, so just probably is not worth the extra code overhead required to implement.
I suspect there are a number of situations where changing the output channel will cause hanging notes.

( I generally think, they probably expect the transport is stopped when you are ‘configuring’ tracks)

again, you can throw it over to Squarp via the contact form to see if its something they’d like to fix.

Have been working on a strange sidetrack this week and have the laptop in the dining room hooked up to a synth, experimenting with processing.

Laptop → M-Audio interface (yeah, this bit is suspect already) → Synth

Been playing all day but just got a stuck note on an arpeggio!

No Squarp products were involved.

Those extra experiments I provided are just a little bit of extra information that would allow other people to narrow their debugging focus, and I do think they are relevant in that context. I don’t know exactly why my P12 will cause this problem to happen and the Subsequent37 normally won’t, but if I change channels with the arpeggiator running on the Subsequent37, I have a pretty good idea that I’m sending something like CH2:NOTE_ON(C2), CH(3):NOTE_OFF(C2), CH(3):NOTE_ON(C2), …

Using my controllers and synths to do the testing is not ideal, and it would be better to use a MIDI message generator of some kind. But I’ve provided enough information that anyone with a controller or a MIDI tester or a PC and a MIDI test script can now use to reproduce the problem.

This problem, which I’m experiencing mainly using the P12 as a controller, hinders my workflow and it’s thre reason I came to the forum. Most synths don’t have anything like a panic button. When I’m working on the Kodamo FM Essence it is no problem, because I can just hit the panic button and fiddle with the keys until I get the Pyramid to become unstuck. Because the panic button is there, I can press different keys on the P12 until the note that was stuck is triggered, in which case it usually gets stuck again. Then I can fiddle with that key to generate extra NOTE_OFF events until the key becomes unstuck inside the Pyramid. My Yamaha TX802 on the other hand is getting stuck on, and it is much more difficult to get it to stop without a panic button to help isolate the key.

Despite the fact that this problem happens naturally with some controllers and not others, it is obviously not an issue that’s specific to the P12 or to any of my synths, based on all the evidence I’ve seen now and reported here. There are one or several Pyramid bugs causing this to happen. I am not sure if it can happen when playing the pads of the Pyramid or whether you have to use a controller to make it happen, but it doesn’t happen when both the synth and controller are connected via USB.

that does not sounds relevant to your main issue.
if you start changing channels whilst note on messages are active, that is going to very likely cause a note hang, since I bet it’ll send the note off to the new channel.

I thought I should let people know how this ended. After spending lots time learning the Pyramid inside and out I’m disappointed with its bugs, incomplete features, and complete lack of support to fix bugs. I never heard back from Squarp about the bug I reported and I’ve stopped using the Pyramid now.

I’m not the first person to give up on the Pyramid because of this stuck notes bug, and I’ve proven this is entirely a bug with the Pyramid. This bug happens both randomly and in response to unusual sequences of MIDI events, after which Pyramid remains in a broken state.

I’ve also run into a lot of other Pyramid bugs that regularly crop up if I spend a few hours using the sequencer. This is not a really stable product.

There is no way problems like I’m seeing would exist if anyone at Squarp used their own products or made music with them or if they listened to their customers.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.