New user midi set up

Greetings all,
First time poster so please be gentle :blush:
Received my Pyramid 2 days ago (mine is also the new all black version). Having difficulty in reconciling the manual instructions with my specific set up. I have the followingā€¦
StudioLogic Sledge 2.0
Micro Freak
OP-1
An older midi Proteus SQR sound module
Arturia Keystep
(Soon to own) DFAM
(Soon to own) Hydrasynth Desktop
Midi Solutions Quadra Thru

Would like the Pyramid to be able to control all of the gear (Keystep will be used to control the rack units)

Is it possible to run a Pyramid controlled set up with the aboveā€¦?
If so, please advise the best method in doing that. Have all necessary cables at my disposal (except usb splitter cable if thatā€™s needed)

Thank you all for looking

2 Likes

keystep -> midi in pyramid
pyramid midi out a -> quadra -> 4 devices
pyramid midi out b -> anything left over

(except op-1 ā€¦ this is a usb device , so you will need some kind of usb host as it cannot be plugged directly into pyramid)

set all devices to different midi channels, and make sure they are midi clock slaves
setup a pyramid track for each device according to midi channel.

from there, you should be able to select the track on the pyramid, and either play on the pyramid (live mode, or step), or play on keystep.

considerations:

• I think some have had issues with keystep, so worth searching the forum if you have any trouble getting it to work
  • you want to try to avoid using thru ports on your synths, if possibleā€¦ and given you have the quadra that should be ok, unless you get even more synths :slight_smile:
  • if you have multitimbral synths, then you may have to compromise on channels, as pyramid has 3 midi outputs (usb, din a , din b) so a maximum of 48 midi channels.
3 Likes

Thatā€™s excellentā€¦ Look forward to exploring these possibilities. Thank you for the quick response

And check also all midi specification files for your gear. Very handy

The SQR is 16 voice multitimbral, no? If you want to use all 16 channels, id put it on its own Port (in Technobears example, Iā€™d put it on Port B?

Depends on how many channels you use, tho, or you may not even be using multi mode. I have 4 16 voice synths all on Port A because i dont use 16 channels on all of them due to polyphony and my affinity for stacks/layers.

YMMV

1 Like

Thanks for the great ideasā€¦ Have a busy day ahead :sweat_smile:

Just a quick note about the DFAM. This unit doesnā€™t support MIDI directly but you could control it via Pyramid CV, (as an alternate method to the BSP), or control it from other eurorack gear like Mother-32, etc. Check out CV/Gate connectivity section in manual https://squarp.net/overview

Both Hydrasynth desktop & keyboard work flawlessly with the Pyramid.

1 Like

Thanks. I did know about the CV route re DFAMā€¦ And Iā€™m still on the fence about that unit for a couple of reasons. Iā€™m more an ambient composer rather than EDMā€¦ Hence the sourcing of something like a DFAMā€¦ But Iā€™m not totally sold just yetā€¦ Looking at Nord and also Model samplesā€¦ Or I might just leave the drumming duties to the OP-1.

In my setup itā€™s probably not the best use-case but I use DFAM mainly as a pulsating drone and/or to get that extra-low bass sound to pair up with drum beats.

Right now its being triggered by M32, which is synced to Pyramid as master clock and BSP slaves to it. The nice thing about having both Pyramid and BSP is that it offers many configuration options. I havenā€™t yet began to play with the Hydraā€™s CV but I know itā€™s there and at some point will start exploring those options. Recent attention is focused on The NDRL :slight_smile:

Hi, will you explain the multi timbral part? I have a Moog one and I canā€™t figure out why the pyramid wonā€™t control certain things (filter, etc). Thanks.

Ok studio has now been transformed with the following changes

Novation Peak
Roland TR8s
Nord Drum 3P
Moog Mother 32
Novation SL MK3
DFAM
Hydrasynth Desktop
Elektron Digitone
Midi Solutions Quadra Thru x2

Still happy to have the Pyramid control all pieces but rather than use the Pyramid pads for controlling the other gear, prefer to have the SL MK3 in charge of that dutyā€¦ Can that be done with the Pyramid set up as the main midi controller and the Novation in charge via keys? Apologies if this is basic but Iā€™m still struggling nonethelessā€¦ Thanks

This is turning out to be far more complex than is conducive for music production/creationā€¦ Will now be selling my unit out of sheer frustration

Yea, it can be a little daunting at first but stick with it. Thereā€™s a handful of folks whoā€™ve posted some great YouTube tutorial / configuration / workflow based videos. May I suggest reviewing them, if you havenā€™t already? Theyā€™ve sure have helped me get over the hump as I too initally struggled with it.

The guys here are pretty helpful. Start out small with a single piece of gear then grow it once you get the hang of it.

Have seen a few videosā€¦ Who specifically did you have in mind?

You asked whoā€™s video in particular? No one in particular. Thereā€™s only a few on the Pyramid but each provides some level of explanation.

1 Like

In your prior post you asked, ā€œPyramid control all pieces but rather than use the Pyramid pads for controlling the other gear, prefer to have the SL MK3 in charge of that duty?ā€

Yes, configure Pyramid to be Master clock and all other gear to Slave (listen for external clock). Then find an ā€œOMNI MODEā€ configuration that works for you. Same for MIDI IN and MIDI OUT Manual

Many thanksā€¦ Iā€™ll persevere once moreā€¦

You bet.

And one more item, if you havenā€™t already seen it, take a look at the ā€œPyramid on stageā€ diagram in the QuickStart tab from that online Manual link posted above. It may better represent your configuration and how to interconnect your gear. The diagram doesnā€™t reflect where to deploy the Quadra(s), and you may want to connect them directly to the Pyramidā€™s MIDI Out A and MIDI Out B ports. And plug your Peak into the MIDI In port.

Thanks again

HI,

You work flawlessly with Pyramid and Hydrasynth ?
by my side I have a problem, the pads of the hydra donā€™t output midi notes to pyramid, I need to use an ext keyboard. do you have a solution ?
your post is old so I guess you found a solution? basically itā€™s midi out from pyramid to everyone ( including Sl mk3 then midi out from SL MK3 to pyrmi midi in ( you could also have all of your gear sending midi out to pyramid for knobs automationsā€¦ or in my case use the pads )