New Algo ideas/discussion

Loads of people have requested the Consolidate function (Algo definitely seems to be the way to be) and I believe it is on the list.

2 Likes

I’d like the Euclid effect to include another mode.

With the current implementation of Euclid, multiple notes on the timeline essentially mask the Euclid effect on or off.

I’d like a retrigger mode added to the Euclid effect that restarts the pattern for every new note on the timeline.

1 Like

Here’s an idea I came up with recently: Automatic copy of automation from one section of a track, populating other sections, based on note events. Things that should be adjustable:

Temporal automation bounds (section of timeline to copy automation from)
Controller # automation bounds (ability to select which CCs are included in copy)
Source note event / pitch (which note event to use as source — also sets source pitch)
Target note events / pitch, with threshold (paste wherever notes of source pitch, as well as notes within Y semitones of source pitch, appear)
Paste options: Clean slate / targeted clean slate / dirty slate (erase all automation on track and only keep what’s copied / erase all automation, but only in pasted sections / erase only automation for CCs being copied)

The point here would be to copy controller movements associated with specific moments in the performance, applying those to other, similar moments.

1 Like

I want to second this - I was actually disappointed to find euclidean wasn’t in step mode like the pyramid, I didn’t even bother to check as I’d assumed it would be.

As far as suggestions, I don’t have a specific one but how about algos that can apply effects to the notes already written in the step sequencer/piano roll

Eg - raise by 5th every bar, apply lfo to current pitches, mutate every nth bar by a certain amount/in a certain direction, reharmonise. I get that a lot of these can be done with effects, but I want ability to edit the results, grab sections and copy paste them, etc.

In short more of a suggestion for “workflow” - I want to do live jamming or even perform, and be able to work relative to what I already have as a kind of “motif”.

6 Likes

Love the idea that algos that apply effects to notes already on the grid

3 Likes

I wrote about this in the Euclid thread and will copy some text here

A euclidean algo mode would be great for the following reasons:

Currently to do Euclidean drums, you have to add a Euclidean Midi fx for a drum part, and scroll to the correct drum part using the encoder. And then add another Euclidean Midi fx in the midi fx for each drum part! This workflow can be slow/annoying for drums.

With an Euclid Algo, you stay in algo mode, and click on the section of the grid containing the drum part you want to add to, adjust the values and click generate. If you want to add another drum part, you just select that drum part on the grid, adjust euclid values and click generate. And so on.

5 Likes

regarding ghost notes etc: it would be great if there was a database with styles of drumming, bass playing etc and the HAPAX could load those styles, like the groove function in ableton. so you could extract grooves from audio files in the DAW and load them into the HAPAX. For intelligent Auto-Ghost-notes another step/app would have to be involved though :wink:

3 Likes

Something I’ve been thinking of is how well you can “draw” things on the pad surface.

An algo that let you “draw” a melody giving it the overall direction and having the rhythm and pitch loosely or tightly follow the curve.

1 Like

It would be nice if drum tracks could have independent sequence lengths per row. This is the major drawback for me so far… Drum sequencing in hapax just feels a bit rigid/lifeless.

8 Likes

Also, it would be nice to have smooth random lfo’s as well.
On a weirder note - it would be cool to have experimental sort of effects that could span multiple tracks. Could have weird things like one track sidechaining another tracks midi velocity. Or a logic effect, where you could select different logic types/relationships between different tracks.

3 Likes

I’d like to be able to route MIDI out to more than one channel. Could there be an effect so you could send duplicate midi to other devices but on different channels??

Uses:

• Sending to more than one synth which are on different midi outputs
  • Sending midi toa.Synth and back over usbfx / onboard synths or just tracking output.

I’ve been using modular from softuve as an effect in Ableton but to patch in midi (which goes out to a 303) I ha e to copy the clip / paste to new track routed back the the daw.

If this was an effect you could send the midi at any stage of the effect chain

Ideally you could route it back to another input for creative fun and consolidation of midi effects

2 Likes

While I like the idea of drum tracks with each row having different lengths, have you tried the Euclidean FX as a workaround?

It’s possible to set rhythms up to 32 steps, target specific midi notes (drums) & stack up to 7 instances per midi channel (possible but generally excessive for a single instrument). Add automation to rotate where drum hits occur in the Euclidean FX, then use the swing FX for groove.

Failing that there’s always the classic method of using a little maths (stuff like 7/4 rhythms requiring 28 bars to loop), then tap in drums with unquantised recording & drum track’s the 16 velocity levels.

2 Likes

LikE !!!

could you please make it possible to select any combination of steps by holding SECOND or some button and then certain steps like any second or which ever one likes - so certain multiple steps can be micromoved simultaneously or for example only those selected steps can be affected by the FX?

1 Like