Multiple Patterns

Sorry for all the questions

Im Just trying to work this out

Is the Structure = Squences > Patterns > tracks?

Im trying to work out how you create multiple patterns . eg you might have a setup with you tracks are set up as bass, lead , clocks etc etc 1 to 8 . how do you create multple patterns of this setup that you can call up quickly.

Or am I getting confused here?

Did you try the manual?

I look at patterns as either another set of pads to program (and switch between) or as another part of a particular song.

So in a PROJECT
I have 8 blank tracks looking at me.
I don’t always need all 8 for a song, and sometimes I wish I had 16 (depends)
But I work it out.

For me the Parts/Patterns are as if I were working with an old school sequencer, like an mmt-8, where Part 1 had 8 tracks, and part 2 had 8 tracks and they were not related in any way.

So I can use parts/patterns in a number of ways:

Just the next section of pads for the next part of a composition or set

An Example:

Part 1
Song one used track 1-3
Song two uses only track 4
Song three uses tracks 5-7

Part 2
Song four uses tracks 1-5
Song five uses tracks 6-8

Part 3
Song six uses tracks 1-7

Part 4
Song seven uses tracks 1-6

Load a new Project

Song eight uses tracks 1-3
Song nine uses tracks 4-8

Etc.

In this way I can make the most of the live experience and never even look at song mode.
I see it as an old school way of addressing memory, and parts/patterns
It’s a little weird, because I never would have programmed an MMT-8 like this. If a song only had 3 tracks needing programming on a sequencer, I would have left tracks 4-8 blank and moved on to the next part for song two.
But because Hermod only had 4 per project, and Pyramid doesn’t use “parts” at all per se, I’ve learned to see my pads differently, and work quite differently than I did before. There are pros and cons to it.

For SEQ mode:
This is different than a live performance (for recording or at a gig) because a Sequence is something which has a different intention. I want to fully realize my composition, and make changes and address the details of transitions, and changes in the song.

So I use parts/patterns differently.

I program the basic song into the parts, and then in Sequence mode I create a sequence of these parts to illustrate the basic framework of my entire piece. You only get 8.
The Seq mode plays it back for me and this frees me up to do other things with my hands rather than muting and un muting pads.
So it’s still a very hands on experience for me.

I see a track as a “sequence”
A pattern as a “part” or a section.
And I see a sequence as a “framework” or structure.
This has helped me make the most of Hermod without struggling to force my old way of thinking and working into this new method of working.

I hope that helps you at the very least to see it a bit differently so that you can find your own way that’s best for you.

1 Like

thanks sunshine… this is great…

I’ve also been wondering this, and I have read the manual. So, whatever you have in the pattern associated with a particular track is what you’ve got, right? There’s no way to make multiple patterns for a track like with Pyramid?

That’s fair enough, but if there’s a way to work around this, I’d like to know. Trying to wrap my head around the structure by reading the manual and watching videos, but it’s not completely clear to me how say sequences in Hermod differs from sequences in Pyramid (they do differ, supposedly).

Oh, I think I got it now. So 8 sets of new tracks per sequence. Nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait…a project can have 8 sequences, with 8 tracks each. You can’t have multiple patterns per track in the Hermod. Right?

Not as with the pyramid, no, but each sequence can hold a unique pattern for every track, so effectively you have 8 patterns per track. :slight_smile:

I see what you mean but that’s not correct in my opinion, cause you have to switch sequence to change pattern. so in the way I see it, in a sequence 1 track = 1 pattern