Midronome - midi clock

important notes:

• do you need a hardware clock?
    as most here have a hardware (squarp) sequencer that can sync to computer… is it even needed?
    tl;dr; most likely NO ! though, see final note for details.
  • I’ve no affiliation with Midronome, nor even tried the product … so I do NOT know if its any good !

anyway, I know on the forum many have been interested in hardware clocks that ‘guarantee’ low latency and jitter particularly to computers / daw (*)

the traditional recommendations are ERM’s midiclock and mulitclock , which are highly recommended by many people … but they are kind of pricey.

but, there is a new kid on the block, now on kickstarter (see below)… and that Ive just backed, that I thought the community might be interested.
as I said at top, Ive not even tried it yet… so its a bit of a punt (as is always the case with kickstarter).

main advantage of Midronome is it quite a bit cheaper than ERM’s midiclock and multiclock… its kind of functionally, like a 2 channel ERM multi clock, but at less that half the price.
it also offers slightly different functionality.

however, again, I’ll repeat the ERM multiclock is proven tech, recommended by alot of people… whereas Midronome is an unknown at this stage.

do you need a hardware clock?

users here likely have a Hapax/Pyramid/Hermod, and these can happily connect to your computer using usb mid… so, do you really need a hardware clock?

the answer to this is like NO…
frankly, if you have a decent computer setup thats dedicated to music making, midi clock over usb can be pretty good - and for most uses perfectly acceptable.
really, those that go for a hardware clock are extremely concern about very accurate timing.

the other rason you may want a separate clock is if you want a separate clock from your DAW/ hardware sequencer. so mostly likely you have a bit more gear, and in particular multiple sequencers (***)

this is not an exhaustive list of ‘why’ , there are other reasons, but I think these are the main ones.

again, search this forum, and you will find discussion on this topic of midi clock timing with PCs.
also the internet (goggle) has plenty of discussion over why doing midi clock over usb on a computer will (potentially) have jitter.

(*) note: to get sample accurate clock from a computer/daw you will need to use an extra audio channel on your existing audio interface. you should also remember jitter is different from latency.
using an audio clock will always incur latency due to sample buffer.
but for clocks jitter is more of an issue than latency!

(**) also I will say, potentially @squarpadmin could add a audio input (from PC/daw) to the hapax.
from a hardware side this is, I think, technically possible, but its not (afaik) planned, and how ‘tight’ it would be would also come down to the firmware inside Hapax.
… really Im just covering myself, if they do it :wink:

(***) an example (from my setup)
most of the time I use the Hapax as the sequencer on my setup.
when Im running it standalone, the hapax is master, but turn on the daw, and its has to be changed to save.
then sometimes (5%?), I just turn on my modular and the octatrack, no hapax.
in this case, I have to switch, the Octatrack to being master clock (from slave)

with a separate hardware clock, then the Midronome, can always be the master clock, regardless of what sequencers (hapax/octatrack/daw) I have turned on.

I should say, none of this ‘needed’ it doesn’t really take very long to switch devices between master/slave clock… but it can make it a little quicker to just ‘turn on’ and go.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.