MIDI FX "Pass thru"?

I would like to use the Transpose parameter of the Scale effect to create in-key harmonization while also keeping the input notes. That is, I want to output a “passed-through” note at the same time as the note generated by the effect. Currently I’m hacking it using MIDI OUT+THRU but this has the disadvantages of note-doubling on tracks that I’m not trying to do this harmonization on and it only works in live playing and playback differs from what is heard during recording since the passed through notes aren’t recorded.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Ideally you’d send MIDI from one track to another… then one could apply some baseline FX to the “source”…

1 Like

I don’t believe this is currently possible, apart from the way you are currently doing it as a workaround.

I have previously suggested a feature to allowing the routing of midi output of one track to another, (partially for transposing and playing multiple synths with one input) which would probably work for what you want.

At the time, Squarp said that they already had something like that in mind, but it was a while ago, so not sure where it is on their roadmap (if it even still is)

I’d recommend sending them a note for a feature request, as I’m guessing that the more requests they get for a feature, the more they might consider it (within reason of course)

Obviously the non-live workaround is to duplicate your track and just play both at once.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m adding it to my (growing) list of suggestions and bugs to send Squarp…

I guess for now I’m going to make do with hack and consolidate. I think it’s just a matter of turning MIDI A OUT+THRU on and off so not so terrible? :laughing:

(I don’t mean to sound complaining btw, I’m liking the Pyramid a lot.)

1 Like

I think I also made a suggestion for a key combination to turn midi echo on and off as well.

Obviously Squarp is a small team, and Pyramid’s memory and CPU is limited, so not all the suggestions will be taken, but they are helpful guys, and out of every sequencer I’ve owned, Pyramid is the best and most comprehensive one by such a long way. Better than most music gear I own.

No bit of hardware is going to be perfect, as it’ll only be perfect for you and your workflow if you designed and built it. I’ve seen loads of suggestions on here that people say is really obvious and useful, and then I’m thinking “why on earth would you want that?” So as with all equipment, you have to to a certain degree, adapt your workflow to fit within the parameters of what you’re using.

Plus limitations breed creativity, of course.

1 Like

perhaps: Harmonizer FX → Scale FX?

so you are transposing (well harmonizing, since you retain exisiting note) with harmonizor, and then bringing it ‘in-key’ with the scale fx.

This can work for sure, but I want the harmony to be in a scale that’s different from the melody line. (In this case it was pentatonic). Not to mention in any scale I step out of key all the time. I’m jazzy. :wink:

I should add. All of what I want to do I can do manually… got enough music theory in my brain to be able to and it’s not like it’s a great burden. This is just a nice-to-have :slightly_smiling_face:

so your saying you want the original note to completely ignore the fx, and just create a new note thats transposed…
honestly, that feels very ‘edge case’, and also feels counter-intuitive for a scale fx to create notes, rather than transform, so Id be surprised if squarp would be willing to support that … but try them on via the contact form

I think if you’re do this kind of thing, Id look at getting a midi processor, something like the blokas midihub… this could duplicated notes, and send them to different midi channels, which in turn would go to different tracks, and so you can record and fx differently.

you could probably do similar with a loopback thru the pyramid (assuming you are using usb midi in) , but that would add a small time delay, so I dont think would be viable.

Another option might be the Retrokits RK-002 active midi cable… RK-002 Active MIDI Cable - Retrokits

There are loads of different firmware options on there that manipulate midi data going through it. Might be something that works for you, or possibly you could code your own if you’re that way inclined.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.