Midi Compressor FX / Adjusting Note Velocities

I browsed around the Pyramid’s FX and didn’t see a good way to do a midi compress of velocities.

In simplest form, I’d just like to bring in a shelf for lowest and highest velocity to handle a few outliers in a fairly long and complex pattern.

Is it possible to do this another way without going through each note manually?

10 Likes

yes +1!

I tried to do the same thing and I didn’t find a solution either!

it’s the only classic “modifier” that seems to be missing from the Pyramid FXs…

it is surprising…
for example, there is an FX “equalizer” that I hadn’t seen on any other sequencer (cool FX btw) but this would be even more useful
a “compressor/limiter” FX
for velocity (and pitch!) with a minimum and maximum value

(also very useful in combination with other FXs)

3 Likes

You can do it destructively when editing all notes at once, and even then, you are not bringing the velocity “ceiling” of the notes down. when multi-editing notes you add or remove values from all velocities equaly, effectively adjusting the “floor” instead.

I agree that a dynamic velocity “compressor” Midi FX would be at least ( if not more ) as useful as the current EQ Midi FX. In the old forum, I had a long list of interesting Midi FX that could be added to what the Pyramid can do.

You can also have a Sidechain Midi FX, which is really a Midi CC envelope. input is a stream of notes and velocities, and output is CC controlling the volume level of another synth. But you need an attack and decay parameter, because the input is a gate, not an audio signal.

3 Likes

Yes, I remember! :slight_smile:
(your sidechain FX is a really great idea too!)

but I must admit that with this “compressor FX” and

Euclid as an FX (I plan to make a separate topic on this subject, because it seems to be like this on the Hermod, and I think this could be a way to have something more powerful on PyraOS and maybe to gain some extra memory by replacing the current euclid submode…)

I would have everything I need in the FX section…

+1!!!

Too bad there’s no way to contribute community FX plugins. I’m sure there are many neat ideas out there, and more than a few coders in the Pyramid world!

But yeah having some FX way to fix velocities seems like it should be part of the standard package.

1 Like

This would be a huge help for me as well! Especially if we could quantize velocity to some value, and modify that value through cc automation / LFO. Is there a feature request protocol here? I think I saw a V3 requests sub forum?

1 Like

+1, big time!

this really seems so basic and obviously missing. we need velocity scaling (percentage of original performance) as well as max/min velocity settings to fix outlier notes.

Came on here to request this exact feature and found this thread. Did this ever get addressed? Would be such a helpful addition!

This is a very old thread.
Usually, Feature Requests should go directly to Squarp via their contact page, but Feature Requests for Pyramid are ‘closed’ according to that page.

Keep in mind, tho: The Pyramid is a mature product and I’m under the impression the hardware is is pretty much at its limit for features - but I have no direct knowledge or insight into this.

Other options might be:

• I haven’t tested the ‘best’ way to utilise it, but perhaps the MIDI EQ Effect might be useful for your use.
  • You can modulate all your data coming out of the Pyramid if you route through an event processor. (Although I don’t compress my velocities, I modulate mine +/- based on a separate MIDI CC control)
1 Like