Live Mode: How does it handle "raw material"?

On the fence with the Pyramid, so maybe y’all can help.

I like to jam to arps and a simple drum groove on my keyboard. I’m not seasoned keyboard player, per-se, but I like to come up with little riffs with rhythmic variations, stuff that wouldn’t fit into a grid very well, certainly not with typical step resolution.

But like anything, maybe the riff needs to be cleaned up a bit: a bit of quantization, trimming to fit.

Does anyone do this? I see people recording notes in via a MIDI controller, but all the YT videos I’ve seen are just taking the notes and aligning to the steps, etc. or it’s a canned “live jam” where it’s well-rehearsed and I have no idea what they started with.

Yes, I do. Many times, I do both: I first play a phrase in live mode, then do some editing in step mode. Being able to play polyphonically but then edit individual notes is a major advantage of Pyramid. Pyramid and to some degree also Hermod are the most “musical” sequencers available on the market today, IMO.

Cool. And presumably you do that with Quantize = Off in the global settings? Can you then copy/paste that phrase as a pattern?

Yes, of course. You can copy/paste your full recording or just a selection of notes.

I’d love to see that in action: riff in, gently massaged, then edited, copy/pasted. There are not a lot of compositional videos out there, just a lot of pre-fabbed “performances” where they just hit play. I’d like to see someone’s journey through a new composition on a Pyramid.

I think you find various videos on YouTube in which people are jamming with Pyramid. But most people prefer to make music instead of videos… :slight_smile: …the process of recording something and then editing is not very exciting visually, IMO.

Fair enough.

It’s pretty straightforward. What you record in live mode is available in step mode with all the features of that mode. The screen is small, but finding the offending notes isn’t hard in my experience. One thing that might be surprising is that notes played slightly before the beat will be recorded on the previous step, no matter how close they are to the step one would expect.