Legato (i.e. slightly overlapping) notes?

Is there a quick way to sequence legato (that is, slightly overlapping) notes on the HAPAX without recording live? Right now, I think I have to zoom in all the way to get the smallest unit of length-per-square, arrow to the beginning of the note (which can be a pain at high zoom) , hold it, increase it by 1, then zoom out again. Kind of a pain. Anyone have a trick?

1 Like

does Hapax in Step mode work like Pyramid where setting note length at a certain value (say 4) for the first entered step remains persistent (unless you change it) for all new steps entered thereafter, i.e., every new step will hold for 4 beats when entered

yeah, no way to ‘micro increment length’

yes, length works same as on pyramid, and you can copy/paste notes… but for sure, bit fiddly for this.

the pyramid also has a legato option… perhaps something similar could be add to the Hapax.
chat with Squarp about this.

2 Likes

I wonder if this would be a good use of an algo, actually. When applied it would lengthen the selected notes (or every note if none selected) to “the start of the next note +x” where “x” is selectable between say 1–1/128th or something?

Please add any thoughts and I’ll write up a feature request.

2 Likes

I’m a new buyer. It really seems the lack of a TIE, LEGATO, or SLIDE function is a huge oversight.
May return the unit. I am interested in sequencing legato passages with the unit as well as more rhythmic stuff. I guess they are relying on your synth to have those functions???

overlapping note values in Step mode will produce a slide on every 303 clone I’ve run from Hapax (RE-303, Bass-Bot, xoxbox, TD-3). that said I found the Pyramid’s legato parameter in Quantize to produce a more slide-y sound to my ears. I know in theory there shouldn’t be a difference and it’s subtle but I think I can hear it

I hope Squarp will add a “mono” track mode, specific for monophonic melodies. This should then also have a legato/slide option.

Also, if you place a note somewhere where a different note already exists, it should automatically delete/move that note, so you can easily change the pitch of a note without manually deleting it.

5 Likes

I am also missing a slide/tie/legato function. Would be a great update!

1 Like

Great Idea !!

Legato and 303/Slide/accent please!

2 Likes

+1 for slides please!

3 Likes

Glide/Slide and Legato are an absolute must!
I love HAPAX’s tuplet implementation and was ready to switch, but the lack of glide and legato makes me stick with my OXI ONE for now.

2 Likes

I switched already. Glide/Slide works well over MIDI and over FH-2 (MIDI to CV). I’m super happy with the HAPAX! Still, a MONO mode is very much needed.

Are you using the overlapping note method :thinking:

Yes. If you use the FH-2, you must enable portamento in the configuration for the respective converter. Set it to a CC number and then you can use it to control the amount of portamento/glide. I usually do this with an automation lane.
With MIDI to the OXI Coral I only need to control the strength of the glide with CC7. No overlapping notes are required here. But this is specifically for the Coral.

What is this? I’m wondering if its possible somehow, but not sure what I’m imagining and what you’re talking about are the same thing!

By having the overlapping notes on the Hapax or having a specific legato setting on the synth you can move from one note to the next without triggering the envelope for the new note(s). In music terms methinks it’s legato vs staccato :person_shrugging:

:nerd_face: and technically I think legato is the lack of an envelope trigger where glide/portamento affects the transition time from one pitch to the next. Slew modules or synth settings alter this time

1 Like

Yeah… I think I was talking about this in another thread about various TB-303 clones, but I think it would be pretty cool if, in a mono mode, you could specify a CC that should automatically be set high when there is note overlap and low when there isn’t. On the Roland TB-03 (Boutique clone), slides are done with a MIDI CC and it makes programming acid lines a bit more arduous than simply using note overlaps because as soon as you move around your phrasing, you have to go back to the automation screen and re-align your slides…

Actually, there is. If you zoom in on the grid in step mode, you affect the increments for “length”. So, if you set the length when zoomed in on step mode, you those length increments are smaller than when at 1x zoom/normal zoom. You can do this step by step, select multiple, or select all and do this to manually create a “legato” effect.

A built in legato and other articulations would be much more convenient though.

2 Likes