Lcd led pcb connection

Hi there,
I am contemplating buying a Hermod, but I have a single concern which is that, according to the information I have been able to find, it is not possible to turn off the display backlight (I think it is actually a frontlight). This is a concern to me because I am sensitive to artificial light. Therefore, I have thought about whether it would be possible for me to disconnect the backlight LED(s) from the pcb, and whether I will be able to do this non-destructively. I did this to my Boss Dr-880 drum machine, where it was merely a matter of opening the unit and plugging out a cable. So my question is: How is the backlight LED of the lcd connected to the pcb?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

Hi,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to do this in a non destructive fashion, but if done sensibly, it can be reversible.

The screen on Hermod v1 is soldered to a separate PCB to adjust its height, and is plugged into the main PCB using a standard-pitch (0.1in) pin-header connector.

Here’s a picture of the back of the screen daughterboard (without the SMD connector):

Power for the backlight is provided to the screen through the two big outermost pins:

The power traces could be cut to disable the backlight, without negatively affecting the display. If it’s done without two much damage, they could later be bridged back to re-enable the backlight.

Let me know if you need more information