Is it possible to randomise only a part of a pattern?

I think that random patterns are awesome, but it would be more awesome to randomise just a part of a pattern, for example, the first bar could remain on the same root note, while the rest of the bars will be randomised…
Maybe there’s a way to do this which I’m not aware of?

you could use the mod matrix to modulate the random parameter. i would do it this way: set up a track of the same length of the track you want to randomise with mod layout. then set up the mod matrix to receive the modulation track( it depends how you want to set it, let’s assume you put the cv out of the modulation track into the A input of the hermod), so that random plug in is modulated by input A. now program the modulation track to be 0 on the bars you don’t want to randomise, and whatever value to whater percentage of randomization you need on the rest of the bars. if you don’t want to use the cv out you can link the midi input and output or the usb ports with a cable, and send the modulation through midi cc, setting the track to be modulated to receive that cc on the random plug in in the mod matrix

It’s not yet possible, but it’s a great idea. I’ll add that to my todo list :wink:

3 Likes

That would be awesome! Random is great when mixed with some elements that stay constant…
For example when composing basslines with random its hard to create it around a ‘tonal center’…

Also, adding effects to part of a pattern… like where the zoom screen is focused
for example euclid on the first half bar, arpeggio on the second, etc…

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.