Is E-RM multiclock useful and how best to implement

Hello. I’ve got an E-RM Multiclock and a Hapax ordered and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to route it all, and whether I need anything else like a thru box or if I really even need the multiclock in the mix at all. I originally bought the multiclock to sync ableton with hardware (TR8s, Model:Cycles, Eric LXR-02, TD-3, and Volca Bass). I still need ableton in sync with the clock since it will still be used for summing the audio going into my motu ultraliteFW from the hardware and maybe a couple of plug-in instruments, but since the Hapax has a similar audio pulse clock input from the DAW as the Multiclock does, I’m wondering if it is even necessary to use the multiclock?

If I were to use the Multiclock my plan was to go DAW > Multiclock via audio pulse > Hapax via midi din Sending clock only > Multiclock (note and cc only from hapax) > to 3 of the hardware boxes and them thru 2 of them and out to the last 2 hardware boxes (clock from E-RM merged with cc/note from Hapax using the E-RMs matrix). Also one midi out from Hapax to DAW to control ableton with Hapax. Is this the best way to do it and get the most control out of the Multiclock? What other options should I consider?

Lastly, whether I ditch the Multiclock and just rely on the Hapax to distribute the clock or set up in the way I described, should it be solid to pass clock and note/cc data from the TR8S the TD-3s’ midi thru ports to the last two synths which nether the Hapax or Multiclock have enough outputs to serve on their own, or do I need a midi splitter/thru box? It’s going to be a super short cane run of 3ft max.

assuming youre not dealing with moving latency, you dont need the multiclock at all

also, syncing to a daw can be rock solid with no midi sync problems whatsoever, if you use an audio pulse dedicated to cv input and clock hapax from that instead of midi clock.

assuming midi in your studio comes from hapax, you only need to adjust the compensation in hapax for each channel or entire buss or just clock output. btw when hapax is clocked with an audio pulse all the events after hapax are very tight.

2 Likes

Right on! I will try it that way first.
And in that scenario since hapax only has 4 midi outs, should I be able to keep that last piece of hardware tight by just passing the midi thru the TR8S, or do I really need a midi thru box?

If it doesn’t work for some reason and want to try the multiclock, does the way I explained the signal path make sense?

Thank!

you have 6 midi busses: din 1 - 3, trs, usb host and client. its enough? you can delay any channel independently so get a splitter if you desire.

im not a multiclock user but i assume its the same sort of thing so i assume it will be usable in tandem with hapax. i dont think youll need to plug one into the other. other than that im not trying to visualize your whole setup, simple logic is all you require and trial and re-trial, midi is straightforward. i answered how i did because i am using the hapax to compensate for latency of my raspberry pi (albeit with squirrely buffer sizes i guess. im going to test a realtime kernel asap) and it works great with my tr6s and polyend tracker.which are not squirrely.

edit: my issue with my raspberry pi turned out to be the polyend tracker. hapax offset was not the issue. hapax works as its claims.

1 Like