Interesting pairings - what are you using?

How is the Jd-xi pairing with Hapax working? Is it possible to route the 4 instruments from the Jd-xo to each midi channel on the Hapax? Also can you tell me on is the Hapax capable of making smooth drum transitions and adding fills in real time?

Yes.
I can play all parts with the hapax. program changes works also it seems.
Some defenition files for the Midi CC´s would be great. just like with the pyramid.
Drums playing nicely with the RD´s and all. fills should be no problem(not really tried actually)

Edit: the JD-Xi is a good “workhorse” with an external sequencer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to see some videos on how you are using the JD-xi with the squarp Hapax, since I am currently gathering cash to purchase it, I believe the definition files for the MIdi-cc will be added eventually as they are currently adding more poignant features, Again thank you for your reply best of luck with the device and if you have some videos do share I would love to see them

Linnstrument—->Hapax
Hapax out to:
UDO Super 6
Eventide H9 (want a second one!)
Norand Mono
Dreadbox Typhon
Eurorack
IPad
I’ve got a Perfourmer coming that will also be part of the gang.

I think no one went with …

my kind of angle on this topic was…
I know for most of us, Hapax is a hub connected to everything :slight_smile:
(mine connects to a mioXM, then out to various synths/modules etc)

but when I posted this, I noticed that it’s quite nice to sometimes just unplug hapax from ‘the studio’, and just use it to drive a particular synth… remove the complexity, go simple.

so the Spectralis is a lovely groovebox, but its sequencer is showing its age…
but add the Hapax, and gives it a new lease of life.

funnily enough, this is how my journey with Squarp started…I bought a Pyramid simply to get more out of my Virus TI.

sure its fun, to have everything connected, and the Hapax ruling them all, but sometimes a simple pairing is a fun thing to do :slight_smile:

btw: another fun pairing…
Computer + Hapax … basically use the computer as a sound engine only (vcvrack is fun here)
so you can still do the hands-on composition in hardware, but have the enormous wealth of sounds that only a computer brings.

I’ve used it with my iPad. I’ve also used it as a glorified looper pedal for my Linnstrument and UDO Super Six.

1 Like

My new Hapax arrives next week and I’m looking for tips to set it up to sequence multiple parts of my Access Virus TI2 synth that can split 16 parts. How would I setup the Virus and Hapax to do this? Like say I want bass and drums from the virus in sequence 1-8 and a few sequenced pads from Hapax to virus?

1 Like

For me, it’s Hapax and Kodamo EssenceFM :wink:

2 Likes

if you’re only sequencing multitimbral parts on Virus, should be as simple as assigning each part a separate MIDI channel that corresponds to a Track/MIDI Channel on Hapax – Bass on Track/Ch. 1, Pad on Track/Ch 2 etc.

only wrinkle might come if you’re also planning on sequencing any drum parts from the Virus as well, since a Hapax Drum Track can trigger 8 different instruments (MIDI note values) on a single Track. i don’t know how the Virus handles assigning any percussion patches in terms of the multitimbral allocation of its total polyphony

1 Like

Ah yes that’s the rub. Worst case, I have tons of modular drums and a Rytm for that. I need to experiment once the Hapax arrives. On the Octatrack I use 4-8 parts from the Virus assigned to midi channels.

Yeah, this. When I’m on the road, I try to bring the Hapax along with my laptop, been using it a lot with soft synths on Ableton Live. A lot of fun to automate CC lanes!

Hapax with Access Virus Ti2, Oberheim OB X8, several eurorack systems, Moog Sub 37, Elektron Rytm and Digitone. Once I get it setup and working it will be my central brain since I have to wait another 3 years for a Cirklon sequencer and the Hapax fits the gap.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I’m so happy about my setup plus you mentioned using a Virus TI so here’s mine!
Edit: Weird I saw the last post was March at first. Anyhoo, this is what I’m using:

Hapax
Syntakt
MonoStation
TI2
Electro 6D
Octa-Capture
iRig Stream

I’m about through with my first song on Hapax. Here’s the progress with this setup:

4 Likes

Nice! How do you setup your Virus with the Hapax and Syntakt? I’m trying to figure the best way to sequence multiple parts from my Virus and Rytm with Hapax that also lets me take advantage of the Elektron sequencer and scenes on the Rytm.

Virus is in Multi mode and each patch in the Multi gets a MIDI channel. Each patch is also configured with a key range. Hapax has a track for each MIDI channel. Each track has the corresponding key range set up on the TI. It varies depending where my tinkering takes me, but the TI generally handles sound FX, atmos, and leads.

The Syntakt was a bit weird and I actually only got that when I got the Hapax a few weeks ago, so it’s also still a bit new. On the Hapax I just set up a track as a drum track on whatever MIDI channel I want. The weird part about the Syntakt is that I set up a single Track (Track 1 in my case) to Rx on my selected MIDI channel, usually Channel 10. Back on the Hapax I map each drum to its corresponding key, which I think starts at C0 for whatever sound you have on Track 1 of the Syntakt. Then it’s just a semitone up from there for each drum sound.

I’m not sure if I’ll need to use the sequencer on the Syntakt, or the MonoStation for that matter since the Hapax seems to do everything I need anyway. That allows me to focus on a single “brain” to control the entire rig without having to worry about external triggers doing some weirdness in the background, not to mention reducing the overhead of saving/backing up multiple devices and their sequences. I get that this offers more creative possibilities, but I haven’t had a need for it personally or at least not yet.

Edit: As far as using the sequencer on your Elektron, I think if you have a similar setup to mine it should work just fine given you set up the necessary clocking/MIDI/transport stuffs. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work though, and I have a feeling someone in this group has used external sequences with the Hapax, so maybe someone will chime in on that.

1 Like

Cool. I like finger drumming sequences on the Rytm pads that are nice and large so having ability to do that while sequence the Virus from the Hapax and keeping both MIDI clock from Hapax would be great. I’ll play around this weekend on them. I was able to run a backing sequence on my OB X-8 from the Hapax and still play the Oberheim keyboard live so that was encouraging. Nice jam too by the way. I subbed to your channel but no comments able to be posted so thought that I’d give you a thumbs up as the jam sounds very ace and uplifting. You should definitely record that into a song!

I wish I was better at finger drumming lol. It’s probably much more fun on something like Rytm. The Hapax has a footswitch input you can set up for punch in/out so that’s probably going to be fun.

Fun fact: I named my cat Oberheim because he’s awesome like these synths lol. I don’t know much about the features on your X-8, but you can get up to 8 voices polyphonic, so that’s potentially 8 tracks on the Hapax, which should allow any one of them to be played via the keyboard up to 8 voices at a time.

Thank you for the kind words. I have comments turned off because I don’t want the temptation to get distracted by comments and following up. I’d rather be making more music! I’m also keeping it private for now until I have more content. I’ll be uploading a final version of this song some time soon.

1 Like

All good. I figured out how to sequence my new virus ti2 and Oberheim OB X8 with Hapax this weekend and record to my zoom Livetrak l12 mixer recorder. Great combo. I’ll see if I can get sequencing worked out with my Rytm and Digitone as these would be awesome to record with the virus and Oberheim and modulars. I hate recording into a daw so record on sdcard then edit later in daw is more fun to me. Hapax is really easy to use and powerful!

1 Like

For the last week, I’ve been working on a track with the Hapax controlling a Modor DR-2, Octatrack mkII and a Gotharman Little Deformer 3. Hapax is working magnificently as the brains in this setup. It’s so easy to configure and tweak that I don’t really have to think about what is happening and where; the workflow is intuitive and natural.

Currently - this.

The virus is 16 part multitimbral, so is fantom. iridium is Bi timbral - the others mono.

5 Likes