How to set up Pyramid with a DAW

Hello
I like to use my Pyramid (as master) together with Reaper, therefore i connected it via USB. Now i got some questions:

1. What are the right settings for MIDI-USB-In/Out
  2. Play/Stop works at the moment only from one direction: Reaper triggers Pyramid. Is it possible in the other direction too?
  3. If i playback Reaper not from start of the project (just somewhere in between), Pyramid is not startig at the right position of a pattern. What to do?

Thank you very much for your time and the fine product!
Cheers Christof

Greetings Christof
This board is a forum for users to help each other out. Since no one else has responded, perhaps I could try. I do not use Reaper so I cannot test this.

If I understand your question, you want to use Pyramid as a MIDI Clock Master and Reaper as a Clock Slave. I do not know specifically about Reaper, but generally it is recommended to avoid using a DAW as a Clock Slave.

However:
Settings > MIDI Out > Sync USB and Start/Stop USB are good places to start to ensure Pyramid is sending out MIDI Clock on your USB port.

For your second question, if Pyramid is sending out Start/Stop and MIDI Clock, then any other issues would be connection and/or Reaper settings.

Your final question: Pyramid does not support Song Position as far as I know.

midin midout

Those are the settings you need to have in MIDI preferences. For each track you want to use be sure to select Pyramid and then the midi channel you are monitoring. Click on the circle for the track (Record Arm) so that it is lit bright red for that track. It will then play whatever the Pyramid is playing.

1. Yes, itā€™s possible the other way. Reliably? Noā€¦ DAWs do not like to listen to other things for clockā€¦ They like to be conducterā€¦ Itā€™s possible to start your DAWs transport from the Pyramid and clock it as wellā€¦ Itā€™s just not something I continue to do after having learned how itā€™s possible.
  2. Click on the home iconā€¦ or whatever you want to call itā€¦ [make sure you are at the beginning of Reaperā€™s transport. They are the two buttons to the left of the transport in Reaper. home and end. ] Pyramid is a MIDI hardware device and not a DAW on a piece of hardware. You need to remember the limitations of such. If you control Pyramid via a clock from the DAW and press space bar, while also having the settings correct on the Pyramid; Pyramid will stop, and then reset itā€™s place to the beginning. Thus assuring that the DAW playhead and Pyramidā€™s playhead are at the same place.

Hope this information has helped. Feel free to PM me any other questions regarding using Reaper as a DAW with Pyramid.

[Donā€™t forget on the Pyramid to make sure you are using USB01-16 in the Track MIDI selection settings]

1 Like

Hey CreepyPants
Thanks a lot for your respond :slight_smile:

If I understand your question, you want to use Pyramid as a MIDI Clock Master and Reaper as a Clock Slave. I do not know specifically about Reaper, but generally it is recommended to avoid using a DAW as a Clock Slave.

-> Very true and i let the idea allredy goā€¦ Reaper will be the master in my SetUp.

However:
Settings > MIDI Out > Sync USB and Start/Stop USB are good places to start to ensure Pyramid is sending out MIDI Clock on your USB port.

-> So point A leads us to forget about this point.

For your second question, if Pyramid is sending out Start/Stop and MIDI Clock, then any other issues would be connection and/or Reaper settings.

-> And this is something i still like to get up and running: start/stop of Reaper via Pyramid! Itā€™s also something what i canā€™t get running for AbletonLive! Do you know how to do this?

Your final question: Pyramid does not support Song Position as far as I know.

-> And also this is (sadly) true: Pyramid is a non-linear sequenzer!

Cheers Christof

Hello Ezmyrelda
Thank you very much for your respondā€¦!

1. General Midi-settings in Reaper are perfectly clear for meā€¦
    -> i know how to use it on Reapers sideā€¦ my question was more for the settings in Pyramid.

What leads me to point 2ā€¦

1. You are completly right: DAWā€™s do like to be slaves, so i let this idea go. Reaper is the boss!
    -> What i still like to SetUp and get running is play/stop (without clocking) of Reaper via Pyramid.
    I also not able to get it right in Ableton Live! Do you know how to do it?

2. My Question was more about starting somewhere in the middle of my projectsā€¦
    -> but meanwhile i know: Pyramid is not a linear sequencer! so itā€™s exactly as you say, Pyramid starts from beginning after it was stoped.

Cheers Christof

1. I believe there might be language difficulty hereā€¦ The way to do it with other devices is that there are midi commands which are co present on other midi devicesā€¦ the pyramid does not have midi transport commands in the way other devices have Play/Stop commands. It will send out signals when you press play or stopā€¦ this does not mean they are suitable to control transport.

Iā€™m doing my best to save you some time and troubleā€¦ The things which you are specifically trying to set up and do in Ableton or Reaper are not worth spending time on except as academic exercisesā€¦ There is nothing I can tell you that will make the combination do what you want it to do in exactly the way you want to do it.

The reason you were not able to ā€œdo the thingā€ in Ableton or Reaper is because that thing is fundamentally working against the natural workflow you find when you accept very specific limitations of the Pyramid.

I will say thisā€¦ As an academic exercise I believe you should continue in your efforts of doing what you are trying to doā€¦ So that when you are finally able to do the thingā€¦ You understand intrinsically why it was a waste of time (beyond the simple learning experience) to begin with.

1. How does pyramid know where you are in a project? You can have Pyramid playing anywhere within a project so long as it is clocked correctlyā€¦ You can keep the DAW runningā€¦ while you stop and start the Pyramid with the correct settingsā€¦ Again, I think we have a small language difficulty hereā€¦ I see the Pyramid as very linearā€¦ which is why the non linear daw doesnā€™t tell the Pyramidā€¦ go to this barā€¦ in this sequenceā€¦ It has no way to.
1 Like

hrm - i feel like the ā€˜how do i connect my pyramid to a dawā€™ comes up all the time. Is there a wiki feature on this forum? Or maybe we could write some guides and pin them in an over arching post fully of guides or something? Maybe not a comprehensive guide to every setup possib le, but like a, ā€œhereā€™s the reality of working with the pyramid and your dawā€. I feel like thereā€™s already got to be a thread on literally each daw, but clearly a lot of folks could use the help.

ā€œfirst, slave the pyramid to the daw. Second - slave the pyramid to the daw. Third, for love the of god, slave the pyramid to the daw, four: sorry about the clock, five: welcome to latencyā€ - Iā€™d help write some wiki guides around logic, i could totally see an ableton one being worth gold here and on the fb group. Maybe it already exists and I missed it? But ya, ā€˜thisā€™ question comes up over and over.

Another idea is, if we donā€™t have a wiki, maybe we could make a thread with blog links to our favorite guides or something? Anyways, unless someone tells me that all my ideas are already done or are totally dumb, iā€™ll write a guide over the holiday weekend. I also wouldnā€™t be surprised if technobear or someone has already made some youtube tutorials on this too.

Okay, iā€™m done rambling about daw-pyramid setup help.

3 Likes

discourse (this forum software) has the ability to make a ā€˜wiki postā€™.
this is just like a normal topic, except any user above a certain ā€˜trust levelā€™ can edit it, not just the original poster. (so like a wiki)

so if you make a post, we can turn it into a wiki post (*) and sticky it in the Pyramid section.
users can dismiss stickied topics, so itā€™ll be obvious to new users.
(if we got a series of such posts, we could consider creating a separate category to group them)

btw: not sure if you know, but discord has quite a number of ā€˜markupsā€™, so you can do things like have titles.

thoughts on particular daw post?
I guess one per daw is best. Id also perhaps recommend trying to use links to other material e.g. youtube videos, ableton manual, pyramid manual.

(note: the following is NOT aimed at the OP hereā€¦ im talking generally!)
for sure, we do get these posts regularly, but if Im really blunt (sorry!) this information is already out thereā€¦ the ableton manual is great, and really on the pyramid its little more than turn on clock nā€™ transport. - also search on youtube ā€œconnecting sequencer to ableton liveā€ , there are a ton of videos that look like they would cover pretty much what you need to knowā€¦

so I guessā€¦ the reason we get asked the question here is simply new users just want a quick 1.2.3 this is how its doneā€¦
however, thats probably not gonna work since, as you eluded to (who is master? what midi interface do you have? latency?) there are lots of ā€˜other thingsā€™ that start cropping up when you start getting a sequencer to a computer/dawā€¦ often its not just a simple matter of plug nā€™ play.

(*) I think possibly only moderators can turn a post into a wiki post, and weā€™d also need to check the editing permissions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.