How is the arpeggiator?

Hi! Does Hapax has a standard arpeggiator or is it more intuitive? Wish for a arpeggiator like BlueArp.

For example a 16 step pattern that follows the playhead when you play so you are always in sync with what you have in the other sequencers.

Dunno the BlueArp, but I’ve been jamming with a friend this evening using the Arp on the Hapax over some chords and it worked easily and perfectly in sync with everything else we had plugged in.

It doesn’t seem to have as many different arpeggiator types as the Pyramid, but I am guessing they didn’t make v1 due to time, and will be added in due course. But up, down, up and down, random and assign (which is notes play in the order you pressed them) all work perfectly well.

The arpeggiator is extremely basic in its current form, but I could see this as an area for easy wins in a future update.

The arpeggiators in Bitwig or Ableton are so so good. But, the Pyramid is also great so perhaps Hapax will get some of those features soon.

1 Like

It is very simple as is been said but don’t forget you can always add more fx to the chain so that it behaves like a more advanced arpeggiator.

As an example you could add swing after the arpeggiator, then a randomize to give variation to the velocities to every note and then perhaps another one that occurs less often for random octaves.

This way it can get pretty complex already.

Obviously more options out types on the arpeggiator would be welcome though!

1 Like

For me, it would be enough with a 16 step arpeggiatorpattern that I made myself in a scale. In that arpeggiatorpattern I can chose which octave each step in that pattern should have. Play that arpeggiatorpattern with different pad/key (only one press), and it will played and transposed. Everything in time with the playhead. If playhead is on step 3, the arpeggiators pattern will be played from step 3. This way you are always in sync with what you are playing together with.

So 2 patterns, the arpeggiators pattern and a pattern (or play live) to play the arpeggiators pattern. This is how BlueArp kind of works. Really nice and not so advanced in it’s basic form.

1 Like

I believe that’s how the transpose track function, available in track 16, works in the Hapax.

1 Like

I’d like to ask if there is a way to make rhythmic arpeggio patterns, where one can switch steps on or off directly on the button matrix, or even pre-set them to the first, second, third etc. chord note played on an external keyboard (in realtime).
I continue here the mention of Blue Arp by xeamus above. I am searching for a long time for a hardware that is capable of similar functionality like BlueArp. Currently I have a tablet PC integrated into my setup that is only for that vst (and Nora CM). It is certainly not what I want, but it is currently the only way to achieve what I want, aside from buying the hardware BlueArp DM, which is a bit expensive.

1 Like

not currently possible to trigger/untrigger an arp from the pads afaik. i believe you can assign ON/OFF to one of the encoders. applying an Arp FX to any instrument results in the arp playing whenever an external key, keys, or chord is pressed but the note order will be dictated by what style arpeggiation is selected in the FX parameters

I ended up buy BlueArp DM (hardware) and loving it. :smiling_face:

This would be great. I love BlueArp, so inspiring to use. I am also finding Hapax’s arp fairly uninspiring.

I think Elektron’s Octatrack has a good/simple arp implementation that lets you add/remove notes and add different notes to the arp sequence.

If Hapax’s Arp and Chord mode was really good/creative I think a lot of people would buy the Hapax just for this.

I am definitely open to suggestions that I am wrong, but right now the Arp isn’t clicking for me, whereas it does on other arps (BlueArp, Ableton arp, various Maxforlive Arps, Xfer’s Cthulu arp, Octatrack)

2 Likes

Interestingly, I recently thought of buying an old Octa just as a multi-arpeggiator. Since the Digitone seems to have the Arpeggio functionality I need, but not for MIDI tracks (Wanted by users for years!). And BlueArp DM is kinda not easy to get nowadays (it’s a Russian product). But I am reluctant. I am not quite an Elektron guy. I rarely use my model:samples, which I bought to find out if that Elektron workflow suits me. There is also the Korg Krome Kbd which has two parallel Arps. The new Juno-X has more (also the Jupiter-Xm), but is not as sophisticated to edit, a small display and a high price. I am not very excited about I-Arp there, but it could be usable.
Generally, I want at least two parallel arps in one machine, the more, the better, each one with individual midi in and out setting.
Midicake could deliver that (4 Arps), and it seems very interesting, but is not available in normal shops outside the UK.
What I really do not like on all hardware and most of the software Arps/Sequencers I have seen is that they do not include 1/x dotted timing/note length grid. Only 1/x and trioles.

1 Like

By chain fx and modulating arp parameters it can get pretty not-so-basic :wink:

1 Like

This sounds interesting.