How does eucledian work?

Been considering picking up a Hermod for my eurorack, but there’s very little info out there on how the eucledian effect works. It says in the manual that it’s a midi effect - what does this mean? You can only use it via midi and not cv? It’s a bit confusing. Just to be clear, I’m familiar with eucledian sequencing and have used it a lot on the pyramid, just not sure how it’s implemented with Hermod.

And, how do you typically sync Hermod to say Pamelas workout? Doesn’t it have any clock inputs or outputs other than the midi ons and outs?

The effects affect cv and midi (you need to add a midi out effect to send midi to a connected midi device.)

The easiest way to use the Euclidean effect is to place a 4 bar note on a track that is the length of 4 bars. This will then constantly trigger the effect. From there, add the Euclidean effect and tweak the parameters.

Press play and that’s it. You can get a lot more complex by adding other effects and the mod matrix.

I typically sync PNW to Hermod which is easy enough. You can have Hermod sync to a clock via one of the 4 CV ins… but I find that wasteful of the CV ins - they can be doing so much more like modulating effect parameters via the mod matrix and/or sample & holding cv.

It can go deep.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile: So the eucledian effect is only active as long as there’s an active note on the track?

And how do you sync pnw to Hermod? Sacrificing one of the gate outs?

Yeah exactly, notes trigger the effect. The speed of the effect will determine the numbers of gates triggered during the note duration.

And yup, to sync PNW it requires a clock which uses one of the outputs. I personally find I have more outputs on Hermod than I need so it works out ok.

1 Like

Thanks. I should be able to “afford” a gate out for clocking duties as well, I suppose. :slight_smile:

There are a few ways to generate a clock on the Hermod - some more successful than others…

1. The simplest way is via the CV Clock Out from within Settings - I think this goes to 1/32 speed. There are options to send ‘reset’ / ‘run’ gates.
  2. Using an LFO effect - this can go faster than 1/32 but there is a problem where sync’d LFOs don’t actually stay in sync (hopefully this will be fixed).
  3. Using manually placed gates (or notes) on a modulation (or Note) track. The only problem with this is the minimum gate/note size is 1/8 which means the clock is limited to that.
  4. Using an Arp (or Euclidean) effect. This can go faster than 1/32 and does stay in sync.

Options 3 & 4 will allow for a swung clock via the addition of a swing effect.

KiYo

2 Likes

Cheers! Much appreciated. :slight_smile: