Hermod multitrack drum recording

Given that hermod shoud be able to record on different tracks (i think i saw it in the list, never tried it…) i figured it would be great to record on the fly a beat, has someone ever tried to record a beat without having to edit only one track at a time? (fingerdrumming)
Is there a hardware/software solution that would help me split notes on different midi channels in order to record on different tracks? I have both logic pro X and ableton lite but i haven’t figured out how to do it. I would much prefer a standalone solution whether it’s a midi logic processor or a midi controller able to output on different channels simultaneously.
I’d love to hear if there are any solutions :v:

Can Hermod even record across multiple tracks simultaneously? I’ve only ever tried to record one track at a time.

Yes it can :slightly_smiling_face::
hermodOS V1.3:

MULTITRACK RECORDING: press STEP+REC to enable multitrack recording (omni mode). Up to 8 routed tracks (via midi in, usb in, cv/gate in, …) can be recorded at the same time.

I was really excited about this concept when they first added multitrack recording, but the issue i found with it was that there is no quick undo. If you record each drum on different tracks simultaneously but make a mistake, it is kind of a pain to go to each track and delete the notes with a menu dive. The best option is to enable hard record mode (which writes over all notes previous as it records) but it can make timing trickier since you have to stop the recording exactly at the loop length or it will start writing over the notes you just played. There really needs to be a quick undo combo, or a way to quickly clear multiple tracks at once (like long pressing the track buttons in track mode or something) for this to be a good workflow.

Also if you want to use the midi fx, it has to be done on each track individually. Which can be good or bad depending on what you want to do.

Oh and also you can split the midi notes using the MIN/MAX NOTE parameter of the midi in effect within hermod. So all tracks would recieve midi on the same midi channel, but on each track, you would set the min/max to just allow the one note corresponding to that drum.

1 Like

Yeah a quick undo would be great, programming each drum on separate channels it’s way too time consuming…

If you record each drum on different tracks simultaneously but make a mistake, it is kind of a pain to go to each track and delete the notes with a menu dive.

Would be possible to sacrifice a channel ad use as a midi out for internal purposes that way you could play a pattern that would trigger the different channels all together in the same channel? (Given that they are all set to specific notes using Min & Max note)
That way the whole pattern could be erased easily.

I’m not really sure how that would work! But definitely take a look through all the midi fx and let me know if you think of anything cool.

1 Like