Hermod as quad quantizer and more

Hello, I have some questions regarding use cases for the Hermod that I haven’t been able to answer using the manual or experimentation (but I may be a bad manual reader, sorry). Is it possible to set up Hermod to:

1. Act as a quad quantizer? Four voltages patched to the modulation inputs, quantized and output at channels 1-4. I selected CV IN for each channel and put a quantizer, but couldn’t get it to output anything on the channels for some reasons.

2. Convert CV to MIDI? CV/Gates patched into the modulation ins, and sent out via MIDI.

3. Be a stored voltage source? Something like Make Noise Pressure Points or Polyend Preset. This is an unusual use case, but Hermod has eight CV outputs, so it should be possible somehow. Basically, save and recall states for each of the eight tracks. I’m guessing this could be done via eight tracks with a single note to set the level and then changing patterns.

Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like
  1. quad quantiser…
    I believe it only can be used when a track is set to cv/gate e.g. cvgate ab
    so can only be used as a dual quantise.
    generally quantizers generally need a cv and gate, since they do a s&h , then quantise
    that said, hermod allows continuous quantising with ON vs ON(GATE) (see manual)
    but it still only work on a CV/GATE track… not mod tracks (afaik)
    (bare in mind, Hermod differentiates between MOD lanes and Note lanes, so things like Scaler FX works on Notes, not MOD)

2. CV → MIDI
    yes this works
    set up with track to be (eg.) CV GATE AB, then use OUTPUT FX to specify destination

3. store voltage source
    yeah, kind of , as you describe…
    basically you could could have 8 mod tracks (or notes if you prefer) , with either sequence or a single voltage.
    you then could have up to 8 sequences to represent your ‘presets’ , which you can either select manually or you could use the mod matrix to change the sequence via cv or cc (see manual)
    obviously, Hermod is designed to be a sequencer, rather than a voltage store, so its much more flexible, but also means you might need to consider settings e.g. set play mode e.g. jump may be more useful.

1 Like

I’m really curious about how Hapax might work as a melodic quantizer. I’ve spent a lot of time working on this exact kind of thing in my modular, where I have an O_c operating as a quad turing machine going into a Instruo QPQ that is quantizing the O_c’s CV based on MIDI melodies/chords played live or sequenced, the outputs of which are going into a second O_c, operating as a quad-S&H, the triggers of which are being driven by a Gatestorm.

I’ve also been playing with some ideas for how I can intelligently infer a scale from a given set of inputs, for example, this rudimentary scale finder code can do something along these lines, but I haven’t spent any time with it lately. The next step would be to set up weights for each possible output scale and then build web MIDI API support into a working prototype.

It would be amazing if Hapax could do something like the above, like allowing one track’s MIDI data to dynamically modulate another track’s “Scale” effect.

FWIW, I think I had actually asked about some of this stuff for Hermod a few years ago, but didn’t get much of a response.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.