Hermod as Midi only, no Eurorack AND Midi out Polyphony / Pyramid too big

Hey so I’ve been trying to find a live midi sequencing setup for some time.
I’m a keyboardist so that’s gotta be my main input style, (and preferably full size keys, but not relevant here)
I am a eurorack user but I’ve had to put that on the shelf recently to focus on a more cohesive live set. Eventually I’ll bring it back in but I need to focus on the broad strokes.
For a minute I was just like, f*ck it, Ableton makes the most sense and I was working with the Push 2 but I really never felt I could get into the flow with it and routing to external synths is a little complicated when you’re combining midi and audio. Plus, bringing laptop and interface to a gig is a lot.
So I thought about other midi sequencers. I used to be an MPC guy but the XL and 1000 got outdated for certain purposes and I eventually sold my Live 2 because the UI felt cumbersome. I’ve looked at the Op1, SQ64, Social Entropy Engine, Oxi One, Deluge, etc. They all have incredible features but I’ve ruled them out because of either interface is wierd or too much, track count too low, track length too short or footprint to large.
I recently got a blackbox which I’m learning and which is pretty quirky but will be great for samples. I’m not sure its right as a midi sequencer but I’m gonna keep messing with it.
Since I sold the Push, I’ve been using the Digitone as a midi sequencer. It has 4 tracks and a really quick workflow, though no arpeggiator and limited track length. And basically I just feel like it’s a little slower to use that as a synth and keep switching over to the midi pages…I know that sounds super picky, but A) I’m an anxious guy that gets overwhelmed, especially live, so I want to really streamline as much as posisble, and B) when I’m all inside the technical I’m not as connected to myself, my spiritual/creative forces, and the audience, so this is important to me to keep working on…

Which brings me to Pyramid/Hermod. Pyramid is kind of ideal though the only thing is it’s size. So, I was wondering what people thought about me getting a little single module eurorack case and using the Hermod as a midi sequencer (until I’m back in the Eurorack game).
Does that seem nonsensical?
Also, I’m having trouble finding the answer, what is the polyphony limit on a track that is sent to midi out. Does every track need to be assigned to a eurorack output or can it be midi only?

Is there a sequencer like the pyramid with at least 4 tracks and an arp that’s a bit smaller?

Maybe I’ll just bite the bullet on the size of the pyramid and take that live.

Very curious to know people’s recommendations.
Thanks!

I think hermod is definitely underrated as a midi only device! It works super well for this. I have it set up this way in a little pod and I love how small it is.

I don’t actually know if there’s a polyphony limit on midi tracks, I think the only limit is the total number of note events you can have in one track or project (which is some very large number I have never reached). But ya, all the midi synths I use have 6 or less polyphony anyway, so that’s been my personal limit that I’ve tested with…

Retrokits RK-008 - RK-008: Real Time Multitrack MIDI Recorder - Retrokits

A similar sequencer to pyramid with a smaller footprint. Both Pyramid and RK-008 are based on/influenced by/pay homage to the Alesis MMT-8. This video, A Love Letter to the MMT-8, is what originally pushed me to buy a Pyramid… apparently 7 years ago.

Sunshine Jones - A Love Letter To The MMT-8 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRLdoZzcd-I

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.