Hermod as CV Clock Multiplier?

Apologies if I’ve managed to miss something in the manual, but I’d like to know if I can use Hermod to Multiply (or Divide) the CV clock out of my Elektron A4.

Thank you.

kind of , no and yes :slight_smile:

you need to look at the clock settings…

here you say what rate (as divisions) the incoming clock is
and also can specify a track , and what rate to send the clock out (as divisions only)

of course, there is nothing to say, you have to make the A4 send what you set the settings to , then you are multiplying the clock.
BUT of course, this is used for setting the tempo, so the tempo would be wrong on all tracks.

your other options, is to set trigs on tracks… this I sometimes do to get different clock divisions.
but of course, as you zoom in, so you are essentially multiplying the clock.
(you could of course use FX to do this too, e.g. ratchet or arp)

so whilst, not a tradition clock divider, with a bit of creative thinking, you can indeed do some interesting things to clocks :wink:

1 Like

Firstly, I appreciate your time, thoughts, and assistance.

Second, my goal is simply to gain higher multiples of the clock than my A4 can produce. I’m not sure which is the most expedient method of doing this, but I just spent 2 hours trying a handful of configurations (including inputting gates onto a track and setting it to loop, etc.), but haven’t been able to gain a faster clock than what’s going in.
Not sure why that is.

yeah, as said , hermod is not a clock divider , so you are going to have to get creative…

I think the first thing to bare in mind, is the clock input is ONLY driving tempo…
there is no notion in hermod of clock beyond this.
beyond this, we simply have gate outputs…

ok, hermod has a clock out with clock div, but really you could just view this as a convenient way of generating gates on a track, with having to set up the track yourself with gates…
… apart from setup, theres to other real advantage, use still use a track for it :wink:

so if you are sending in 1/4 as clock from your A4, to get the same tempo (e.g. 120) on your hermod/a4.
that is step 1… from here you can of course then generate 1/8th notes which by definition give you gates at 240 1/8 per minute.
as I said previously, how you generate those 1/8, 1/16 1/32 is up to you… placing them on tracks or using an fx.

this is the ‘beauty’ of modular, its all just voltage,

a couple of side notes:

• if you want to have the concept of Reset, you could similarly add this as a mod, or another gate track.
  • ok, there is a difference between gates and trigs, but really this should not be an issue, as there is no standard for how long a trig is - just try to keep the gate length short, to make it more ‘trig like’

Have you considered using a dedicated clock divider/multiplier? I know there are a few eurorack options (I use a Pamela’s New Workout), but I’m not sure what might be available with standalone units.

Also note that when doing clock multiplication in a device that’s not also the master clock, you may run into sync issues, because the thing doing the multiplication typically can’t know what the tempo will be until it has received at least 2 clock pulses.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

In the end, I chose to set Hermod to receive MIDI clock + transport via the device port with sustained notes set to loop on track’s 7 & 8 to generate two clocks to drive my Iridium and Thyme discretely.

Using CC from Max to mod the ratchet rate of each, you get 12 divisions ranging from 1/1 to 1/96 bpm. (9 to 871 bpm @ 145 bpm)

I may eventually buy a Pam’s New Workout, but I don’t currently have space in my skiff.