hapaxOS 1.04 - new firmware

Hey y’all!

We just released hapaxOS 1.04.

It fixes a bug introduced in 1.03.
It also comes with a teeny eye candy for DRUM tracks :wink:

To download this update, and for more details about the release, click on the link below:

Cheers,
Thibault

8 Likes

Any idea on when instrument definitions will be ready? Really looking forward to this feature, especially for DRUM tracks!

5 Likes

Awesome as always, thanks for the hard work!

1 Like

Yep, instrument definitions are essential! :). And please add more lanes to drum tracks - my > 8 instrument drum machines are begging for it!

1 Like

Getting closer to June hope production of next batch is going well…
Anyone got a video of new drum animation?

1 Like

Haha the drum animation is adorable!

Now all I need is active track MIDI controller support, better looper auto length behaviors, and the ability to edit a non-active pattern, so that I can actually use Hapax in my sets :smiley:

4 Likes

Would love this. Right now I have to set up duplicate tracks to do this. Given the track limitation, that’s a big one for me.

Will we have a function to hear what note is played when I press a pad? Deluge and Oxi One has that function and it is really, really helpful.

2 Likes

We had a big discussion on this a few weeks ago, and there were arguments either way (for example, I am not keen) so not sure. Put it into the suggestion box, as I guess if they get enough people asking they might reconsider.

However, the way around is is to press and hold the “live” button, which will switch to the Chromatic keybed in the grid until you release the live button again, then as long as you have MIDI learn on (pressing knob #2) you can place it on the grid. It also works for chords, and is actually a really quick way to audition notes whilst placing them on the grid, plus it’s totally non-destructive!

1 Like

I don’t have a Hapax yet, but that way doesn’t feel as intuitive to just have the pad play the note. Hope Squarp make it as an on/off function.

Honestly, it’s very intuitive that way. I am massively impatient and it works perfectly for me. Once you see how Live and Step modes interact, it’ll make perfect sense, trust me.

Think the problem with having stuff as an on/off function is that you have to code both, and code the different behaviour, which will just make the OS bigger, laggier and possibly more prone to bugs. Reckon it would have to be an either/or for everyone.

Thanks for pointing this out, I didn’t know this “shortcut”.

I hope they will make Learn mode work with single notes while in pScale as well though, as it doesn’t seem to work (which apparently is intended but confusing to me)

I specifically asked in a feature request that they provide a way to preview the note being entered/modified as an audio tone that comes out of one of the CV out jacks, just like the metronome does (if configured to do so). That way I can send the metronome and audio output into a separate mix that is only sent into my headphones, so I can make adjustments to notes (and hear the click) while performing, without the audience hearing it.

I’m sure previewing notes in Live mode is great for creating patterns outside of a show, but it doesn’t really help while tweaking patterns in the middle of a live set. I’m always playing in chromatic mode to allow for arbitrary chord changes, and because the grid pads in step mode don’t really give any indication of what note they actually are, I find that there’s a lot of trial and error when modifying notes, which I really don’t want the audience to hear. I mean, I find it awkward to even find which of the notes in the grid is the one I want to modify. Anything that can help that (eg, a tone is played when I press any pad in step view) would be great.

1 Like

Sure, both would have to be coded, but that’s the nature of software development. There’s really no way to know that coding in a different behavior will make the OS laggier and more prone to bugs. It’s pretty unlikely, honestly. Let’s keep coming up with cool feature requests and let Squarp figure out what is or isn’t possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me, this specific function should have been there from start and a function that always has been there from start on Deluge and Oxi One and always worked without any problem, own both.

That’s interesting you say that, actually, as I don’t want the notes to play when I’m pressing them into the grid for exactly the same reason. I wouldn’t want a note preview when programming live unless I specifically wanted to hear it.

But guess everyone has their own desired workflow. I was thinking about all the grid based sequencers I’ve used, and they all behave like this (Novation Mono Station, MC-707, drum machines, etc) so it has always clicked in my mind.

It is very possible that the way the Deluge does it is much better, and more intuitive, but, for me at least, it feels like I’d end up playing stuff by accident I didn’t want to. But that definitely doesn’t make it an invalid method.

1 Like

How do you even know which note you’re adding if you can’t hear it, though? It’s not like each pad in the 16x8 grid is annotated. I’m genuinely curious, since I’m finding it super difficult to correlate pads to pitches.

Just by going into Live mode with the push and hold method, finding the note(s) I want, then letting go of the Live button, and placing on the grid back in Step mode.

I find myself only using the left encoder to get to a pitch and focusing on the bottom row as a reference. It’s not perfect, but works.

1 Like

We should not need to do workarounds for things like this, there should at least be an option to use it or not.

I understand that a lot of gridbased sequencers don’t have this feauture, but they don’t share the same gridbased workflow as Deluge, which I presume was an inspiration to make Hapax. It is super innovative and fun to work like that.

I have written a request for this and hope Squarp listens and add this feature in the future.