Hapax Controlling Boss RC-505

This might be a Boss problem and not HAPAX, but I’m writing to see if anyone else had issues getting the Hapax to control the 505 (esp. the recording start function).

I can get the Hapax to start the track, and it starts EVERY track with a loop in it. It then doesn’t work to stop the tracks - I have to stop them on the 505.

I’m using MIDI and not USB.

Anyone get these two pieces of gear to function correct with each other? Thanks!

Hi @CeeDub ,

It seems to be specific to the RC-505.
On page 29 of the RC-505 manual, you can find this paragraph:

Playback will not stop when FC is received. If you want playback to stop when FC is received, set “Assign Source” (cf. p17) to “SYNC START/STOP” and set “Assign Target” (cf. p17) to “ALL START/STOP.”

In this context ‘FC’ refers to the MIDI STOP transport message (which binary representation reads 0xFC in hexadecimal).

So by default, the RC-505 will ignore STOP messages, unless you explicitly use it in an assignment.

Thank you Thibault! I had the first one set, but not the second.
Sadly, this doesn’t help with the record function, which is almost more important :wink:

Again, I’m thinking this is a 505 Midi implementation issue and not a hapax issue - so i’ll either have to think of some kind of work-around, or find me a looper that integrates better with the hapax.

Maybe i’ll see if abelton can work for me as a looper.

Unfortunately, I don’t think REC can be easily synchronised.

There is no standard MIDI message to signal the beginning/end of a recording. As a result, Hapax does not send any message when its record state changes, nor can it be configured to.
I do see that the RC-505 supports toggling REC with a control change, but regardless, Hapax does not emit any particular message upon pressing REC.

So what IS sent when the Hapax record button is hit?

My typical workflow is to hit record, and then the play button so I get a 1 bar count-in.

I have the pigtronix inifinity looper 2 for my guitar and when I perform the above, the hapax WILL start the record on the inifinity. So, I was assuming the Hapax sent something out? Otherwise, how does the infinity know to start recording? :slight_smile:
Thank you!