Hapax as midi host

Bear with me, this is complicated.
Currently I have Hapax > Midi in of thru box > out to digitakt and digitone.
I want to use a Novation Launch Control XL to control CC on the digitakt and digitone. I have setup the LCXL for channel 1+2 on the digitone to experiment with track levels with the faders on the LCXL. I have the LCXL hooked up via usb to the hapax host usb port.

Here’s the issue. When I select a track on the hapax, I’m able to use the fader to control the track level on the digitone. But if I move to track 2 on the hapax, the fader setup for track 1 no longer works. The track on the hapax has to be selected in order for the LCXL fader to work.

Any ideas why this is? Meaning I can’t use the faders on the LCXL unless that track is selected.

So this will not work and the midi host is pretty much useless.
Seems like a huge oversight to not have a global matrix or global “listen” or anything like that.

If the behaviour changes when you switch tracks, this suggests your Digitone track is set to “INPUT PORT > ALL ACTIVE”, when it should in fact be “USB HOST”.
Alternatively, you could use the MIDI THRU settings to route all messages from the USB HOST directly to the port where Hapax is plugged into your midithru box.

1 Like

The second option you mentioned is what I did. Video attached for anyone else struggling with the settings.

1 Like