Hapax and MPC (One, Live, X)

Oh snap nice work! Is the midi bug on the Hapax side or the mpc? I’ve been trying to get the motivation to make an mpc instrument def, this type of stuff helps charge it up :slight_smile:

MPC, long standing issue that was supposed to have been fixed in 2.11.7 and may have been for drum programs but apparently not plugins at least. in an abundance of caution, i always map my drum program pads down to the lowest note value MPC allows (C-2) and go up from there. usually that keeps them out of the range of any notes a plugin or keygroup is likely to play. but now with the easy mapping of key ranges, i might just put a hard min/max on each track to keep them fully separated

1 Like

has anyone using MPC been able to send MIDI Out over USB into Hapax (basically would like the Pad Perform settings, especially Chord Progressions, to transmit into Hapax for recording the chord notes). what MIDI In settings per track, or in Settings, should I be using? Set to receive as USB Device on Ch. X doesn’t seem to actually receive from MPC when I trigger a pad

Wish I could help Chris, but I find MPC to be a bit of a midi problem machine. I’m thinking of selling mine as it’s just going to waste at present.

1 Like

I don’t love the MPC (tries to do too much so doesn’t do anything very well), but I keep my MPC One at the cabin as a fun to use all-in-one musical creation tool when I don’t want to bring anything else there (or just bring my Hapax to the cabin). I can’t really justify selling it because I bought it at the original price ($799) and then bought a mess of drum sounds and packs to go with it, so I’d never get anything close to my money back. Also, when you connect the Hapax to the MPC via USB and use the track edit window, creating multiple tracks on the Hapax to create sounds on the MPC is actually pretty straightforward. What’s nice is that, like using a DAW, you have access with just one machine to do up to 16 tracks of synths, ROMpler, and drums on the Hapax. Simple. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer to use the Hapax with other gear that sounds better than the MPC and gives me better options, but the MPC still has its place in my music creation workflow.

1 Like

anyone work out how to automate things on the MPC from hapax??
i am having zero luck figuring it out

the MPC won’t send the pads over its USB, it will over BT or DIN. FWIW WIDI has been solid for me if the goal is to use Hapax’s usb in. Their mailing list sends 35% off sales every few months.

i think i got it to output pads (with Pad Perform – chord progressions) eventually by setting up a MIDI track into Hapax via USB (don’t have it all set up at the moment so can’t 100% confirm). but it seemed to be working great because i could just change the MIDI Out channel on that track to correspond either to my Alpha Juno or Digitone or PIPES sample playback box and Hapax was recording whatever i triggered from pad perform into the Live or Step mode for each given device on their assigned Hapax track

one way -

On the MPC
Load a thing to control and name it,
Menu > MIDI Control
bottom left choose “MIDI LEARN” tab
upper right enable “Enable Mapping”
upper left click “+” (plus sign)
Drop down Source, choose “Program” if its a synth or samples, then choose which program.
Drop down Target, choose - Mixer gets you vol, sends, etc. Program gets you any parameter from a pad or plug in.
Hit Learn ( -_- ).
Turn your hapax encoder.

It saves the map in the MPC project.

3 Likes