Exact steps per pattern

Hey I am either missing something or this is a feature that we need.

When adjusting the length of my sequences it seams to only adjust in 1/4 of bars so the steps go up and don by 4 steps each time.

Say I want to make a 31 step sequence but its locking me into 32 or 28.

1 Like

In settings you need to be in polymeters, set zoom to /2, set signature to 21/4, length 3 bars, should be 31 steps.

1 Like

If you want to do it with more sensible resolution set zoom to 1, signature to 22/16, length to 31 steps.

ok so the zoom affects the length of the pattern when adjusting the length?

i believe that might be the missing part for me.

It would be great to have a simpler way to adjust pattern lengths. I would prefer to never have to mess with the time signature, and adjust the number of steps at a given zoom level.

The zoom level makes sense because that’s the only thing that determines the length of a “step” the pyramid doesn’t hardcode “step” to mean 16th notes like many other sequencers do. at a zoom level of 1 a step is a full note ( 1 measure ) all the way to 64th at the maximum zoom level

4 Likes

I’d like steps/pages it seems the most logical way to me, on the rare occasions where we want a number of steps that won’t divide equally into pages then we could revert to the current scheme.

As a beta tester for a number of sequencers for the past 15 years it has been something I have always requested but never been implemented. :frowning:

1 Like

As well as polymeters and setting the signature such that it is possible to select the number of steps required at a particular zoom level. It’s not rocket science, because rocket science is simpler :rofl:

2 Likes

Awesome. I will have to check when im back from work. I believe I already have it in polymeters, because I have been using Euclidean for drums and triggers.

hmmm still having trouble on this one. i am trying to make sequences of mutlipules of 5’s 7’s and 9’s but its so difficult to pick how many steps are in the pattern i can not do it or figure it out.

I think the simplest way to do that (without headache)
is to first choose : zoom x1 and bar x1
then change the Time signature
while you do that you can see the number of steps
and you will see that the upper number of the TS corresponds to the number of steps

then, you just have to change the number of bars and zoom level later, at your convenience
and you can have you multiples of 5, 7, 9…

maybe im doing something wronge but the step change when i zoom back to x4 and its not the amount iam looking for.

yeah because the results with the zoom will depend on what you choose as the lower number
http://squarp.net/modetrack#ancre11

with a lower number set on 4, you will have “quarter note” on each step with zoom x1 (so 8th notes with zoom x2, 16th notes with zoom x4)
if you set on 2 you will have “half note” on each step with zoom x1 (so quarter notes with zoom x2, 8th note with zoom x4)
if you set on 8 you will have “eighth note” on each step with zoom x1
etc.etc.

I can’t even fathom how you’re doing this math. It’s not my best subject but still, is this really how we have to achieve an odd number of steps? What is the underlying formula here?

In case of 31 step at zoom /2 example, like this:

21/4 = 5.25 steps per beat, zoom level 2=10.50 steps per beat, 3 bars x10.5=31.5 steps, rounded down to 31.

Thanks very much for that explanation. That is a painfully convoluted approach. I haven’t explored polyrhythms or polymeters with the Pyramid yet, I’m guessing now I might not enjoy that. Sometimes the architecture of this sequencer is a joy, sometimes, imo, it’s an unnecessarily complicated mess.

I used to think so too. So I started experimening. After a few days it clicked for me. It is the easiest implementation allowing both polyrhythms and polymeters. How many modern sequencers out there that can do that? Actually 0, yes none. Pyramid is the only “fully” polyrhythmic sequencer. As said earlier. If it feels convoluted, then just switch to “polymeter” mode. :wink:

well…
actually, Cirklon does it now …
true polyrhythms
and he does it very well …
it works simply with the number of steps precisely:
https://youtu.be/Op6g6vWD9bE

and apparently the Cirklon is improving its euclidean sequencer and piano roll screen too …

it’s sad to see that other companies copy the cool features of Pyramid (some users talked about Synthstrom on another thread, I even saw a company -I forget the name- at the last superbooth that copied the midi fxs chain principle) and Squarp does not in return

in my opinion Squarp should do the same…

competition moves, and it moves fast …
Five12 (Numerology) get a step into hardware and brings a lot of cool features

The Vector Sequencer includes many of the goodies from Numerology in a tangible, touchable physical format, complete with a bold graphic design based around a pair of deliciously contrasty OLED displays.

Chance operations include: Mute, Un-mute, Skip, Un-skip, Select, Un-select, Jump Forward, Jump Backward, Jump Any Direction, Accent Low, Accent Medium, Accent High, Gate Shorter, Gate Longer, Gate Tie, Ratchet X 2, Ratchet X 3, Ratchet X 4, Repeat X 2, Repeat X 3, Repeat X 4, Randomize Pitch (+/- 12 semitones), Randomize Pitch Up, Randomize Pitch Down, Randomize pitch to any semitone +/- and octave, and Random Jump to any of 16 steps.

3 Likes

Oh thats new! And great! I stand corrected!
I guess the Pyramid is more of a “music sheet” and Cirklon a “step sequencer”.

yes, it’s very recent (March 2018)

and it clearly comes from the influence of Pyramid on the market

but, as I said above, it would be better to have it not only as a one-way process…

1 Like

okay i figured this out and i end up with a measure for every step and i am able to get by. but i feel there is a better solution for keeping the 4x view and being able to better choose your last step. it is quite nice how on the beatstep pro and other new drum sequencers there is a last step button an you just choose the last step for the sequence.

1 Like