Encoder Part #s?

The Pyramid uses encoders, and though with any luck it will be years from now, they will wear out and go bad eventually.

So I’d like to buy a spare set now, while the parts are readily available. Perhaps others would like to do so as well…

I don’t want to open mine and void the warranty (and I’m not suggesting that anyone else should), but if the Squarp team or someone who has opened it up already can let us know the manufacturer and part number(s) that would be super helpful.

(I have a mk 2 btw).

1 Like

The type of encoders used is very common. There’s also lots of different options to install in there. So I don’t think it will be a big issue to replace them in ±20 years or so, if they last that long.
Would love to know the p/n though, to check the expected lifetime in the datasheet.

On the old forum there was a member who photographed the pyramid on the inside.

The type of encoders used is very common. There’s also lots of different options to install in there.

How do you know that?

I even wonder how to remove the cap on this type of encoders :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

do you have any idea?

I tried but it seems stuck and I am afraid to force them…

so I hope they will last forever… :smiley:

To remove caps, put a soft cloth underneath and use a flat screwdriver as a lever. That way you have upwards motion and least chance to break something, at least in my experience, ymmv

As for how it looks on the inside:

As said before, there’s nothing exotic about these encoders, you’ll see similar types in a whole bunch of other gear.

2 Likes

Hi and thanks for the video link, but there’s no way to see the part number in that video.

A part that is totally common now may not be in a decade or two. You may be right about the part being common, but how can anyone really know without the part number?

It may not even take a decade for an encoder to go bad. Look at what happened with DSI Prophet '08 encoders.

Even if they are as common as you say, it would still be good and useful to know the actual part number, so that spares can be put away and ready to hand in the future. Have you seen this:

He talks about having to scrape contacts to try to keep the device alive. I’ve been there. I use multitrack tape, and I keep scrounging for broken units for parts, because the original parts are impossible to find. Imagine yourself in the future, dependent on this device for your musical life, and Squarp not around anymore to help, or simply unable to. A set of encoders stashed in a drawer could be a musical lifesaver.

Hi Folks,
Here are the parts you’re looking for :

-Encoders : https://www.mouser.fr/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=PEC11R-4215F-S0024virtualkey65210000virtualkey652-PEC11R-4215F-S24
-Knobs : https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Eagle-Plastic-Devices/450-BA600/?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiwV0wHJgdE2qsR2pwgasI4WlnUI8Hkqo0%3D

Rotational life : 30000 cycles
Click life : 20000 cycles

They are indeed very usual parts.

5 Likes