Do you make albums with your squarp? how? (dawless or not)

That idea about the tape & cc numbers is genius. Think I might do something similar.

Can def empathise about why you’re not into the definition files, I just did one for a complex synth & the 8 char limit is a killer. I can’t remember what stuff like ‘Flt1Ktr’ means, will learn but geeze…

Forgot to mention 2 other things about using a template to get things flowing:

• Assign the encoders in a uniform manner. Boring/normal stuff like 1 = cutoff, 2 = res, 3 = amp sustain etc. (don’t really use the touchpad as much as I should though).
  • The patterns mode is also how I get around having 6 positions for a song’s structure. Layers 2 onwards are variations that align with each other. So planning a song now means I think of its structure in 3 dimensions, not a 2d timeline. In my mind a Pyramid song is a prism LOL.

What I meant by defaults was pretty much what you said about the projects/TEMPLATE file, I just used the wrong term. Bugger setting up all that for each song! Called it default ‘cause that’s the name of the template. :man_facepalming:

Apologies for derailing the thread from being about making albums & turning it into workflow. As a hobbyist I find the 2 are closely related. I guess one aspect of good design is making a tool that its users can interpret, not just use. Thank you, Squarp!

2 Likes

In the context of this thread/

When you make albums/ songs, does anyone here have a soecific way of approaching multiple takes of a single part?

Like do you use parterns as a way of sketching out versions?

I often find when making music - I end up saving lots of versions and when I come back to the project it can be a real mess!!

I sketch out ideas in patterns and then I basically flip between two of them (or more), decide which i like better and delete the one I don’t. If i really like both, then I make a new sequence, and I go from one variation to the next in the song somehow. It helps if you have good backups of your music - I have my own system, so I can usually go back and get something if I’m really worried about it. But ya, I really try to delete things kind of quickly in my process personally (or merge Ideas I really like and then only have one idea, or whatever).

Another thing that helps me detach from things and delete more frequently is I make a recording of what I do every single day. Usually, as a last resort, if I deleted something and really wanted it back, I can go listen to that recording and program it again.

oddly enough, i literally almost never resurrect things. This means I’m left with only the stuff I like in my song once i’m down to performing live. I found that, sometimes I’d be really unsure of something, so I wouldn’t practice it but I wouldn’t delete it - then a month later or whatever, I couldn’t remember what that button would do, and I’d blarg all over my song. So, yea, I just delete everything I don’t love as soon as I figure out I don’t love it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.