Definitions keep messing up!

I’m not happy with my Hapax currently!

I’ve had many problems, bugs etc.

The latest one is that my Instrument Definitions, for some reason keep messing up.

At first, they load and work fine, all in the correct order etc. Then, at some point later after a few saves, I press Automation, and there will be loads of CC22, CC43, etc with no names.

Also, they are now in a weird order. The only way of fixing them it seems, is to delete them one at a time, by hand (this takes 3 presses of an encoder PER LINE, wear and tear for no good reason), then to load the definition again. Then do this for all 16 tracks, hundreds of lines…

Then it just happens again later.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME SOLVE THIS?

Squarp, if this is a known bug, is it fixed in 1.14? How long until 1.14 is stable and out of beta?

I’m in love with the idea of the Hapax. It does things that no other sequencer does. I support Squarp and obviously want the Hapax to be as good as possible and Squarp to flourish.

However… I am rapidly becoming disheartened as to whether things will ever get better :frowning:

It’s not just this bug. I’ve encountered many, many others. Please note that I rarely ever complain on forums (I think this is actually the first time).

I want Hapax to be great. But it will only be great if it all works as it’s meant to!

While Squarp occasionally do pick up bugs from the forum, the official point of contact is by far the best and most reliable method of reaching them.

Thank you!

Appreciate the reminder. I have sent a couple in already.

I don’t want to bog them down with ones that have been requested already.

Anyone have any idea if this is a recognised bug?

Could it maybe be a problem with the SD card? (I’m using the one which came with the Hapax).

1 Like

I can’t speak for Squarp, but generally duplicate reports are valuable too because it gives the developer some idea how common an issue is. If 15 people report the same thing then its very likely to get priority over something only one person has ever reported.

One would think a faulty SD card would corrupt songs too and not just instrument definitions, but it’s something to try. When the definitions get messed up, does a simple reboot restore them?

Also, you could just try the beta to see if it’s still there. Just be sure to back up your songs first (always a good idea, but especially with pre-releases and/or when experiencing instabilities)

Appreciate the reply, thank you.

Alas, no. The ‘fix’ is to delete them one by one. It takes 3 encoder clicks to delete one, and there are a lot to do.

I’m going to try the Beta. Hopefully it’s fixed and I don’t have to hassle Squarp with this.

Many thanks!

i noticed the same behavior when i take the sd card out and then try to access the definitions. my bet is theres some problem accessing the card.

They’ll get better. Squarp has a small team and fixing bugs while also trying to add new features is a lot lengthier and difficult of a process than it seems.

I don’t know if you were around for pyramid release days, but tbh it was pretty much the same with that unit. There were a lot of bugs and crashes on the original firmware. I don’t think it was very solidly stable for a couple years.

In fact, things have already improved with the Hapax OS. You can check the official bug fixes on the 1.14A thread in this forum. 1.14A and B are still in beta.

Have you tried reinstalling the latest stable/official firmware? I find that some bugs are transient and go away (or even come back) when you reinstall the firmware again. I personally haven’t had the exact bug you have described (I use my Hapax quite frequently), but I also only have one definition file that I regularly use, so that can be a factor. Not saying that the bug doesn’t exist, but I’m highlighting how it can be hard to reproduce the rarer bugs like this.

Fyi, Squarp still prefers that you email them with a bug report even if it is something other people have already experienced. Every thread that is posted in here with a bug report here usually ends up with Thibault asking them to email Squarp directly.

Sometimes, they might even have a hotfix firmware version that they can send you directly. And this allows them to troubleshoot directly with people.

In case not everybody on this thread follows the 1.14 beta thread, I just spotted the following bullet in the beta release notes today:

• SD card driver improved. Hot-plugging should now be possible.

Which means it’s not supported in the current stable versions <= 1.13. So, if you’re in the habit of removing and inserting the SD-card with the device powered on, that may very well be the cause.

It’s easy to assume SD cards can be freely removed and insterted on the fly due to their nature, and I don’t see the Hapax manual stating anything to the contrary. And thinking about it some more now, I may well have seen similar oddities when working on instrument definitions of my gear, and started power-cycling the device when removing the SD “just in case”. It’s been a while so can’t be 100% sure.

Thanks for everyone’s replies!

I never do this! Even if it’s ‘allowed’, I don’t see the point. Just save and switch off first, less risk.

Just about to try the official 1.14 firmware. Fingers crossed!

TBH I’ve been on the verge of selling my Hapax, especially in light of the latest open-source developments on the Deluge (especially the Grid and Automation views).

I’ll stick with it a bit longer though, see how it all pans out.