Definition File Question

Hi, what does the “0:MSB BANK SELECT” line reference? What’s the purpose of the “O:” line?

I think there’s a mistake in the manual where they intended to explain this, but copied the line about MIDI accidentally. Page 65 of the PDF manual reads:

How to create a CC definition file
A definition file includes 5 important information:

• the name of the instrument,
• the midi channel of the instrument (1 to 16),
• its midi output (A, B or USB),
• its midi output (A, B or USB),
• NOTE definitions (note N0 to N119)

See it here:

NAME:BLOFELD
OUT:USB
CHANNEL:2
0:MSB BANK SELECT
1:MOD WHEEL
5:GLIDE RATE
7:CHANNEL VOL
10:PAN
12:ARP RANGE

etc…

That’s actually a CC number 0 for Most Significant Byte. I don’t know much about this type of preset or setting loading but it’s a way for manufacturers to have a way to load a specific setting through CC. There is also Least Significant Byte. I’m sure somebody with more understanding of this particular nuance of the midi spec can clarify.

EDIT: This page actually explains it quite well.

2 Likes

You don’t need this in your Definition File as the Pyramid sends MSB & LSB for Bank Select via the [2nd]+[Track] settings.

Regarding what it is - PgmChg messages are 7 bit which is only 128 Programs. Generally manufacturers organise these into Banks to allow for more Programs stored. Of course, this is not an absolute - I think some DSI/modern Sequential stuff is 100 pgms/Bank. YMMV

If you’ve noted an error in the manual, give Squarp a shout at squarp.net/contact and let them know

1 Like