CV Sync settings

Why do you need to set the tempo on the Hapax, when it receives a CV clock and has CLOCK DIV setting? Can someone please explain this section of the manual (p.131)?

When using CV IN 1 or CV IN 2, Hapax is synchronized in a “step advance” (trigger) style. The setting CV CLOCK DIV lets you choose how much ppqn the sequencer will run for one input trig. Please note that you also need to set the tempo thanks to the BPM popup, allowing a great flexibility. For example, if you want to132 sync Hapax with an external eurorack sequencer analog clock, running at 140bpm and sending a gate each 1/16, you need to set CV CLOCK DIV = 1/16 (4ppqn) and set Hapax tempo to 140 BPM.

I’m not sure if this is incorrect or I’m not understanding it either but the tempo of my hapax doesnt matter when it’s being clocked from abelton into the cv input. You can actually change the tempo on hapax and nothing will happen until you change the ableton session tempo. The PPQN does matter but that’s the easy part.

The manual says it’s a “step advance” (trigger) style. So maybe there are still some elements (like fx), which rely on the internal tempo. It’s unclear.

I shot a video to show you but it’s too big to upload. The hapax tempo means nothing when it’s clock via CV. The only thing that matters is ppqn and reset if you’re using it

I got this response from Squarp tech support:

Some people use the “step advance” feature to make Hapax run for 1 beat (for example) when they trigger the gate. After that, Hapax will stop and wait for the next clock. As these clocks are not continuous, it’s not possible to detect and average the input tempo.

So maybe users will use continuous clocks, maybe they will use discontinuous clocks. In both cases, you need to set the tempo at which Hapax will internally run its PPQNs.

1 Like