Copying patterns between projects

Hello! I just want to seriously bump this topic and request/recommend this feature!

I’m new to Pyramid – there are things I love about it, and I am considering making it the centerpiece of my creative workflow. But this one simple feature is a must-have for me. I need to be able to recombine elements from my various projects with one another. :confused:

As I mentioned in another topic… I think this is where an unofficial official Pyramid editor might be of use… If it was possible to import all your projects in to a piece of software and then mix and match them so you could re-export them to the Pyramid SD card would that accomplish what you are seeking to do?

It’s pretty commonly understood on the board that while Squarp are very welcoming of feature requests… We the Pyramid users understand that the product is mostly feature complete and there is not much more that can be packed in to the device considering its hardware limitations.

I do think that an external editor which is oriented towards being a utility for the Pyramid is something that would be a great boon to all owners.

1 Like

Ehhh sorta. Personally, I am an experienced programmer, so I could probably figure out how to copy patterns between projects without using a specialized app. But a big part of the appeal of using a hardware sequencer is being able to avoid using a computer. And a big part of what I love about Pyramid is how intuitive and seamless its workflow (usually) is. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I’m not an experienced programmer… Just an experienced technology user… and yes. I’ve been able to copy patterns between projects…

I understand the appeal of not using a computer… but… how do I put this… when you are performing… a dawless setup… you aren’t using a computer; but we all use computers for the other things they can do even if we are moving towards a dawless setup.

If there was an external editor that was feature focused to be a helper app of the Pyramid… I believe it would allow you to do the things you want to do… But, yeah… unfortunately… I do not believe a lot of those things are going to be future features allowing it to be done on the fly on the Pyramid.

1 Like

Yes, this makes sense! I think this kind of app would indeed be helpful.

1 Like

to be fair - i don’t think you can ever use the pyramid exclusively without a computer. Even if it just comes to backups, you need a computer at some point in time. As long as I can perform without a computer and author my music, that’s generally good enough for me, and I usually don’t mind popping a card in and manipulating a little midi from time to time if I really value that midi.

Fwiw, I don’t think the pyramids job is to be a ‘midi project merge tool’ so having an external tool to meet this need seems reasonable.

Not that i’m going to be the software engineer to write it. I got too much music to make for that.

1 Like

yeah, i dont think this is something squarp would be interested in.
but you could ask them…

ive given enough details in previous threads about the format of the pyramids project files to be able to do this (and also the pitfalls) - its pretty simple - but honestly, its not a project that excites me enough to want to do it :wink:

I also very rarely attach my pyramid to a computer, as i dont backup projects, or transfer midi.

I mean the best would be able to load/import single tracks from a project file on the SD card, including all midi, effects, and patterns, etc.

I have previously suggested this, and Squarp came back with a “good idea, but not promising anything” so I’m assuming that’s a polite no.

I actually had no intention of contacting Squarp and asking them to make this as this sort of cleanly falls in to the “not their responsibility” category… What is needed… Doesn’t need somebody who has hardcore C skills… Just a few people with a goal and some javascript skills. Maybe some Python skills… Everything could be wrapped in Elektron so it could be cross platform with little effort…

If I understand one of the issues that technobear (or perhaps it was someone else…I forget. my brain sucks) has brought up that I will poorly paraphrase, something something since it’s 3rd party and Squarp are not beholden to any file format, even the use of standard MIDI files, that any editor might need serious updates anytime Squarp does an OS update.

My personal thought is that such scenarios are unlikely because I believe the .pyr files are text (looking at one right now) and really the whole system doesn’t need anything super involved, so I doubt they will make major changes.

I’m usually incorrect, tho. So…there’s that.

However, I would love love love a software Editor/Librarian solution and if I may interject one tiny little feature suggestion would be to allow drag & drop of type 0 MIDI files that will output type 1 MIDI files.

I have such a difficult time thinking in terms of type 1 files being different patterns of basically the same instrument/port/channel/output and just want to find a decent bit of software to drag and drop type 0 MIDI Clips to construct Type 1’s for properly parsing patterns.

1 Like

yeah, i doubt squarp would update the project file format now, but you never know.

the main issue with an editor was the fx names and parameter scaling would all have to be hard coded in the app , since there is no meta data - but then again, there aren’t that many really.

i wasnt suggesting you did… more saying as you repeated, its doubtful squarp would go this route it if was suggested.

again, as i said, its very simple - could be pretty much done in any language that someone was comfortable in , all it needs is a ability to handle text files, and some ui.

i think the bigger issue, is whilst many might come here and say, oh that’d be great and useful - in practice, after a few weeks no one would bother using it.
simple reason its a faff to unplug the sdcard, load it on a computer , run the editor - reinsert sdcard into pyramid, reboot the pyramid, load project - its just a dreadful workflow.

really you’d need the pyramid to be able to boot into a usb mass storage device mode to be useful - and thats unlikely to be added by squarp at this stage ( others have asked for it to transfer midi files)

Uhh, well I mean… It’s really not all that big of a deal for me to unplug the SD card and plug it in to my computer… I mean they are sitting right next to each other… If it were possible to make the Pyramid a class compliant storage device… I would say “Please dear Goddess no!” It’s already a class compliant MIDI device…

When you say “hardcoded” and are talking about Python and or js… I don’t know what you are referring to. It could be done in any language anybody is comfortable with… But… It won’t… If it’s done at all it will be heavily reliant on python and js… because there are already libraries which are essentially perfectly suited towards this use.

The creation of such, and the subsequent abandonment of the utility… sounds directly like a focus issue. If it was absolutely indispensable… and made one feel like you never knew how you did without it… and looked pleasing to the eye… it would have no reason to get thrown to the side… It doesn’t need feature creep… It needs a small set of absolutely essential features that do nothing but compliment what the pyramid already does… As I said… A definition database and swapper might be one of the features… Another one might be a repository of simple or starter beats, basslines, and melodies… Easily done in Scribbletune…

Another might be a core.pyr parser… Some things might change… Sure… That’s why you code it in something that doesn’t need to be compiled… Neither Python nor js needs to be compiled and both are human readable languages.

The thing is, people wont be motivated to write a piece of software on their own time by telling them “it shouldn’t be hard” and that somebody somewhere, possibly yourself included, might find it useful.

All you need is someone with the will and the skill. The latter can be obtained with the former, but it doesn’t work the other way around. Somebody want a Pyramid editor, it’d make for a great project to learn a bit of programming! Not wanting to invest the time and effort in it? Well, maybe the editor isn’t that important for you afterall.

I think you believe I’m suggesting somebody volunteer for the task… Trust me… I’m well aware of how software isn’t written…

What I’m saying is that human readable script language libraries and dev environments are almost advanced to the point where somebody with my level of math parsing ability could start on the framework… and I might be encouraged to do it… If I had a small manageable feature set to work towards.

I’m not discussing it because I believe anybody besides me would ever take it on as a project… I’m discussing it because it dovetails nicely with something I’ve already been working to bring in to the light of day.

The heavy lifting has already been done dev wise… The only question is if I can manage to put the pieces together in to a useful utility.

My comment wasn’t directed at anybody in particular overall, otherwise it would’ve had names or quotes in it. That said, based on what I’ve read here, I did have you in mind @Ezmyrelda when I said it’d make a great project for somebody willing to learn :slight_smile:
If it’s something that interests you, go for it!