CC not going through in MPE mode

Seems like CC are not being recorded in the HAPAX or sent to the selected output in MPE mode.
Pitchbend is working fine (per channel).

Is that a bug or a normal behaviour?
FW 2.01

Do they work on MIDI channel 1?

With MPE its normal enough for CC messages other than CC74 to be ignored if they are sent on any of the per voice channels as opposed to the global channel.

1 Like

Will check if they do work on channel 1, not straight forward with Osmose, especilly since I am totally new at MPE, but I was hopping create a 6 voices MPE Elektron Monomachine. On every of the Monomachine track it can use CC 1 and 2 inputs, so I wanted to assign to those pressure and aftertouch (per voice/MIDI channel). Bending already works well on every channel (as expected)

Note that Osmose sends those CCs per MIDI channel (I can monitor them coming in Hapax’s input, but they don’t go through)

Its true that most MPE controllers including the Osmose do allow you to go beyond the standard spec, but the same isnt true of DAWs and sequencers that have very specific MPE modes that make assumptions that are aligned to the much narrower official MPE spec. eg you would likely face just the same issue with the MPE modes in Bitwig and Ableton as the Hapax. DAWs and sequencers that are MPE-agnostic and simply work by recording and playing everything on every MIDI channel, wouldnt have the issue.

Its not a problem if you use MPE synths, but situations like the one you describe, where you are using a non-MPE synth, quickly leads to just the sort of problem you face when you add the likes of Hapax to the setup.

If I were desperate to get that setup working I would keep everything as standard MPE until it leaves the Hapax, then use some kind of converter to turn CC74 and aftertouch messages into something else like the CCs you need.

1 Like