Bug? MIDI effect "Root Note" not +/- 1/12v

In the MIDI effect, with a default “Root Note” value of 60, Middle C (C4) outputs 0.00V, and other C values are in tune at -1.00V, -2.00V, +1.00V, +2.00V, +3.00V like I expect. (I’m measuring the voltage with an oscilloscope)

If I attempt to transpose the track up or down by some number of octaves by changing the Root Note from 60 to other multiples of 12, I expect Hermod to output voltages that are exact multiples of 1 (no decimal places) for various C notes, eg. 1.00. However, I’m seeing voltages that are substantially different, eg. 0.95, 1.06, which results in some very out-of-tune synths:

In practice, what this means is that in order to transpose up 2 octaves, I need to set Root Note to 85 (not 84) and Fine Tune to 60 (!) and I need to use a scope or a tuner to do it, because I have no idea what the drift is going to be. I feel like I should just be able to set Root Note to 84 and not adjust Fine Tune at all.

I’m seeing this behavior on multiple tracks. Here’s a different track:

Notes:

• With a Root Note of 60, some tracks output non-exact voltages, which is easy enough to adjust with the “Fine Tune” setting
  • In the online manual it’s called “Root Note” but in my Hermod (fw 1.30) it’s called “Root Note 0V”

Is anyone else seeing this?

I’m also going to file this as a bug report.

I concur… though for me its pretty constant

basically, to be in tune its +13 semis per octave -20 to 25 fine tune
so if we assume fine tune = cents , then it looks like its around 80-85 cents out/per octave.

(I think it is cents, as if I I can go to root note 85 + 60 cents and voltage is pretty close to right)

note: I’ve just recalibrated hermod, so my voltages are pretty much spot on for all note ranges where root =60, and with 0 fine tune.

It behaves like this for me as well. Shifting the root note 12 causes everything to be out of tune. I’ve used the Scale > Interval effect to shift octaves and that works. What’s puzzling is why it Root Note and Scale > Interval are different.

I’ve reported to squarp, and they say they are going to take a look.

What email address did you use to report it? I’ve reported 2 bugs in the last week and haven’t gotten any kind of response. /cc @squarpadmin

main point of contact is their contact form on their website.
http://squarp.net/contact

I usually use this for ‘new’ bugs, but I do sometimes reply to previous responses (contact@squarp.net) where the issue is potentially related… e.g. I felt this was kind of related to some cv calibration issue we were already discussing.

they are pretty busy, so can take a few days… if Ive not heard anything after a couple of weeks i sometimes ‘ping them’

note: I try to be very clear/precise with bug reports - whilst keeping the ‘extra’ info to a minimum - I also make sure I test it throughly, including trying different scenarios etc. Im a software developer, so I’ve a pretty good idea what is needed in a bug report.
it’s common sense really, the quicker/easier it is to understand your report the more likely they can do something with it quick.

(btw: this is not aimed at you - i’m not suggesting my report was better than yours, rather just reminding readers generally the way I find I get the best response from any ‘software’ company)

Yep, ok. I’ll just wait for a response. Keep us updated if you hear back!

Hope it is alright I post this question here, it seemed very related.
I just experienced a similar problem and came here looking for answers. I am actually trying to use the root note parameter to transpose a sequence using external MIDI notes from Ableton. However, these do not even track properly over 1 octave, even at 60. It might be the CV output isn’t sending out the right voltage like you describe, or the CV input isn’t properly tracking v/oct signals.

Also, I feel like it’s really strange that the Hermond does not let you transpose an entire sequence with just external MIDI information. I am sending notes from Ableton via USB to Hermod, but right now I have to assign both a cv output from one of the sequencer tracks and a cv input to this purpose. Is it really not possible to route the MIDI notes from Ableton internally in a way that allows you to transpose the sequence? Pretty much all analog sequencers work like this, and it feels weird that squarp would move away from something like that… Am I missing something?