Best Sequencer VST alternative?

Hello, I’ve composed a bunch of music using Pyramid and I’m interested in replacing the hardware sequencer with a VST for live performance. Most of the music uses polyrhythms so that would need to be supported.

Any suggestions?

Would best practice just copy the midi files from the Pyramid tracks and paste into another program?

Thanks

It’s not a VST, but Seq66 looks like an update to Seq24, which is actually the sequencer I used before I got my Pyramid (I ran it on a tiny netbook using keyboard shortcuts to mute and unmute)

It’s based on the MMT-8, and if I recall you could set end points per track for polyrhythms. Obviously no MIDI effects or anything like that, but you could export from the Pyramid and import, or just record from the Pyramid directly into tracks.

There is a Windows executable, and it seems to work in Linux, but not sure if you used a Mac.

Other than that, is there any reason you’re after a VST rather than using Pyramid as the master sequencer in your live sets? It transmits MIDI over USB so you could use it to drive a DAW hosting any VST instruments you wanted to use.

Thanks for your reply. The music is essentially written with no improvisation so the performances don’t necessarily need a physical sequencer. I could use the Pyramid but I’m interested in cutting down on the number of things to bring to shows.

I’m using the software Gig Performer, a VST host, to flesh out the arrangements so I’ll need to find a sequencer plugin to recreate my pyramid tracks.

“The music is essentially written with no improvisation”
→ in that case you could bounce the tracks to an audio file and even further reduce things you need to bring to a show. : )

Upon further thought, I think a sequencer VST isn’t necessary. Either playing audio or MIDI tracks (triggering a synth VTS) is more what I need. Gig Performer has a built in MIDI player, but if someone else out there can recommend a good and reliable one, please let me know.

Thanks

i’d just use ableton and scenes.

I’m having fun with Euclidean Sequencer a Max for Live sequencer. It supports polyrhythms.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.