Any new Pyra OS version for Pyramid to come soon?

I was looking at the JJOS site for the MPC sampler/sequencer. The guy for years has been and is regularly releasing improved and/or debugged versions of the JJOS.

Then looking at the Pyra OS for Pyramid, no new version since January … Maybe this is not comparable to the MPC updates, but I was wondering if a new OS update for Pyramid seems likely.

Not quite sure why you think because ONE product updates very frequently that all others should.

Many products get hardly any updates, and the pyramid has received lots of updates over its lifetime, and as you say, even got an update only a few months back.

The pyramid is now a mature product, so personally I’d not expect a huge number of updates.

Of course squarp are still supporting it, so you can submit bugs/issues to via their contact form.

No idea when next update is due, though we have seen recent updates to both Rample and Hermod, so perhaps Pyramid is next ?!

2 Likes

I would argue that 6 months since last update for a product that is 5 years old is really not bad at all.

Indeed, we would all love an update with new cool features (I’ve been submitting some suggestions myself), but still kudos to the Squarp team for maintaining their product on such a long period. (I come from Novation which really disappointed me with the Mono Station which didn’t even receive the sequencer updates they developped for the Circuit, whereas the architecture is the same)

2 Likes

The pyramid is 5 years old? That is so weird… for the amount of content made about it on youtube you’d think it was only a year or so old…

I honestly can’t think of that much that could be packed in to the the firmware… Almost everything I had initially wanted to see there… was actually already there in some form when I had actually processed what the manual was trying to impart.

Sure there is a bunch of stuff that it doesn’t do… But… it’s not a sampler… it’s not an everything product… and a lot of the stuff I see people wanting out of it is better suited to workflows elsewhere… or… Like finding products that would dovetail perfectly in to what the pyramid can do…

I’d still like patterns accessible via midi… but I eventually realized that for a great deal of work, sequences could be called via midi… and have different patterns in each of them…

I think the first mk1 got released in 2015/1016 yeah.

Most of my major requirements for it would be hardware anyway (midi usb host port like the Hermod so I can plug stuff like my Roli Blocks directly, less stiff pads with velocity–which would be less of a problem if I didn’t need a computer to plug in my gear which has pads like that. I like not to have too much gear).
One thing that would be really cool would be if team Squarp team, when they decide to stop maintaing the Pyramid, would make the OS opensource so the community can take over.

1 Like

yeah, I’d love this too… but it may not be viable.
often companies will use their existing software as the starting point/basis for their next product - so are reluctant to release it.

really with hardware its not so much an issue, since its should continue to work as-is ‘forever’ (midi 1.0 is not going anywhere, nor even USB class compliant midi :wink: )

as an open source developer, i could argue - that releasing software open source will not cannibalize your sales, and can potentially add value.

however, I also totally respect this is the decision of the developer - its completely their choice, they spent 1000s of hours on this code, its theirs to do with as they please.

2 Likes

Yeah of course, it’s only their choice. Another option is to give a license to a blessed team of maintainers.

often companies will use their existing software as the starting point/basis for their next product - so are reluctant to release it.

That’s what licenses are for :slight_smile: Commercial reuses are of course often forbidden. Granted, when you need to go to trial over that, it’s not easy for a small company to defend this. However I’d mitigate that by the fact big companies that could potentially be interested by that code already have code of their own.
Reusing other people’s code is often really not that easy. Especially when you already have your own code which your dev team is used to it’s often not worth the time to delve into some other radically different codebase, that was thought for other hardware.

Also the benefit for Squarp from that is the possibility to reincorporate community features into their future hardware.

Anyway, not a current problem ^^.

I just checked, we released 22 different versions of pyraOS since it first came out.
So, grossly, that’s an average of about an update every 3 months, I think that’s not bad :wink:

12 Likes

Very not bad at all.