And THEN it clicked!

It’s funny, for a brief time, reading the manual would make my eyes roll back in my head, because some of this stuff seemed almost non-sensical, particularly because of the use of the word “Patterns”. Everyone almost always uses different naming systems, why? I have no idea. Yamaha calls a (Squarp) “pattern”, a “phrase”, Ableton calls it a “Clip”, Logic calls it a “Region”. A “Track” is pretty much a track or a channel in most places, and a “Sequence” would be sort of like a “Scene” in Ableton, but includes a mute state per track.

I’m still getting my head around a few bits and pieces, like Consolidating. So far it appears to be for whole tracks, so if I want to consolidate a single pattern multiple times, I copy a whole track, then delete all but the pattern I want to consolidate through some Random/Chance effects, copy it to as many iterations as I want in the current track’s pattern slots, and then consolidate either in place or to a new track, and each of the patterns will or should be randomized/chanced individually, right?

I think this is starting to make sense!

Ahhh…so when I want change patterns in a particular order, I do that in Sequence mode, if I have this correct. Now the big questions… how to copy tracks, their settings and patterns between projects to create smooth transitions from project to project in a live performance setting? I had heard or read something that hinted that you can load a project while another is playing, but not seen anything definitive beyond that loading a project deletes the current one.
Does it wait until the current sequence in the current project plays out then dump all of the new ones in instantly without missing a beat?

Again, big question: can projects be merged? If so, how? How does one pull files from one project into another? Can I do this on the Pyramid? Can I do it with my computer? Can I do it at all?? Yes, I have read the manual, and didn’t see these questions answered. It was mentioned in Loopop’s video, but not much about how.

Thanks everyone for taking time to answer these questions!

So as I reread the manual, I see that a track with multiple patterns will be stored as a Type 1 midi file, which I assume I then drag into another project with my computer. Looks like saving stops the clock, but I can hot swap the memory card, and the loading while the clock is still running thing looks like it will do the job. Seems a bit clumsy in a live performance setting, but it is a work around. Anyone aware of other ways to do this? Also, this says nothing of the sequences so I’m kind of in the dark there.

So I believe I may be the Bearer of Bad News here. And I sincerely, truly hope for someone to prove me wrong about this so if anyone has figured out a consistently reliable solution please speak up.

OK, so - in my experience both with the Pyramid and combing this board searching for solutions - I have not been able to successfully copy* tracks, patterns, etc between established projects. The clipboard memory is cleared when you switch projectscon the device, so copy/paste simply won’t work. The next option generally would be to use a separate device to copy the MIDI files between folders on the SD card. It is easy enough (read: possible but feels quite hacky) to put them into a new project. But once that configuration file has been populated in the project and you’ve actually done any work on the song from within the Pyramid itself, trying to repeat the process and put new MIDI data into specific tracks has never worked for me. The Pyramid just ignores the new MIDI files. Theoretically you could parse the values in the configuration file and strategically modify it by hand to make it recognize the new MIDI file, but I took a crack at this and it did not work. If your project is at all complex, with sequences, patterns, multiple track types (I. E. With some Euclidean, MIDI CC tracks, etc) those configurations are not trivial to correctly alter by hand. And if your goal is to add a pattern to an existing track in another project, well that doesn’t seem like something one should even attempt to perform via text-editing a proprietary configuration file.

So I have personally come to the conclusion that there are two ways to tackle this issue of merging two different projects.

1. use an external device - such as Ableton running on a computer - to record the midi as it plays out of project A from the Pyramid. Then switch the Pyramid to Project B and record the MIDI played back from Ableton onto an empty track. You’ll probably have to nudge the starting point of the recorded midi to ensure it starts on the first beat and be careful to not accidentally drop any events by starting late or stopping too soon , but overall this seems quite doable. Then you can copy paste between locations in Project B.

2. the other option (and the one that I generally have been using) is to just always start a new project when you need to copy external data into another project. So if you want to put some patterns from Track X in Project 1 into Track Y in Project 2, you create a new project, Project 3, on the Pyramid, then pull out the SD card and put it into a computer, then copy every thing you intend to keep from both Project 1 and Project 2 into the new Project 3 (renaming tracks to avoid conflicts where necessary). Then from within Pyramid, you can do all of the copy pasting as necessary within a single project, deleting the extra bits. Obviously there are downsides to both approaches - I personally try to avoid recording if there’s any chance of copy/paste.

Oh and in terms to switching projects during playback - I also don’t think this is possible. There is an option to keep the clock send from stopping so external devices don’t flat out disconnect. But I don’t think I’ve seen any way to continue playing a sequence from a prior project while it loads a new project.

Again, I really really want to be proven wrong about the first topic. It is a significant disruptor of my workflow to not be able to do this. Just sharing my own experience with the matter. And there are other threads on the board here where people discuss it as well.

1 Like

So far, all of your observations appear correct, however, I have not yet tried to copy tracks from a previous project into a copy of the project folder currently in use, giving the copied tracks names of otherwise unused tracks then tried to reload the whole thing while the current project is playing but your advice to copy current and outside tracks into a new project, then load that makes sense. And yes, there will be a hiccup, though midi clock will not be interrupted, and one has to be precise on the Play button to catch the 1 correctly.

I guess a Nudge function would be of great help in this case, and i thought I heard rumors of one, but have yet to track down such a thing,

I have been using option 2 myself, because there are so many tracks available I’ve just been sort of building up lots of random stuff that I end up muting or deleting. I’m mostly doing this so I don’t have to remember which notes are going to trigger drums on my Vermona DRM, and other little midi settings that I forget to do. I guess it’s my ghetto way of creating a template. I’m such a total noob here, but I really look forward to getting deep into the Pyramid. I have ideas.

1 Like

yeah this is puzzling to me also, why call a static scene a “sequence” even though there is no sequence of anything in a squarp “sequence” (unless I misunderstood something when reading the manual)

Because Sequences are what you can chain together sequentially to play in an arbitrary order. In truth, it’s a bit of a frustration that we only have the capacity to utilize 32 possible different iterations of patterns. Each time I want to drop a specific fill into a rhythmic line, that’s another Sequence I have to use to do it, and if I’m throwing a specific variation in, sometimes every bar, it eats up sequences quickly. So then what? Copy a pattern to double its length and lengthen out the patterns to be twice as long, or even four times the original basis?

Let’s take a look at a fairly simple arrangement. One, maybe two, maybe even four sequences used up on just a simple intro, three on a verse, one for a pre-chorus, two to eight on a first chorus, let’s say there are three choruses, each slightly different, that’s thirty two right there, without second, or third verse variations, let alone a bridge, solo, pickup, or outro variations, whether those variations consist of different patterns, or even just mutings and slight changes to effects parameters, like increased or reduced chances.

That doesn’t even scratch the surface of trying to transcribe or create even a small fraction of something like this.

I love the fact that the Pyramid can actually do polymetric phrasing, which is what a lot of this kind of music uses. Please bear in mind when watching that this is nothing more than a practice tool to explain rhythmic ideas BEFORE even setting them to instrumentation or putting melody and harmony to them. Trying to create something of that rhythmic complexity and variation would eat up sequences VERY quickly.

I’m as yet unsure how I could make this work. Perhaps the shortcoming is my own in not yet fully getting my head around copying, pasting, and consolidating ideas, like inserting or appending patterns of different rhythms into new patterns.

Example:Consolidate Pattern 1 using Quantize Division A, then consolidate Pattern 2 with Quantize Division B, then lengthening Pattern 1A, and copying Pattern 2B into the blank space on the end of 1A, creating Pattern 3, and consolidate again, with no quantization so as to retain the two different rhythmic divisions within a single pattern, 3C (C being no quantization)? That way I’m only using one Sequence instead of two?

That’s a lot of work to save on Sequences. But I guess if that’s the only workaround, currently, that’s it. I do wish there were some more extensive editing facilities to allow easier insertion of one idea into another, like an Insert Paste command that allows one to insert time at a given location within a Track or Pattern, in addition to a Merge Paste or Replace Paste (these options not altering the Track or Pattern length. Maybe there are ways to do this and I’m just not seeing it through the clunkiness. I know that I can shift notes in either direction, but I’m still getting the hang of the editing procedure, and I’m hopeful that as I further familiarize, the methods to accomplishing these tasks will become obvious, and second nature, as many of the amazing feature of this musical tool already have.

Caveat: this assumes that I am using multiple Tracks in Pattern mode. It would be a godsend if there was a simple way to chain Patterns together inside of a Track, without having to use a Sequence to do it, maybe even as Midi Effect, with various selection options? Like P1x2>P2x1>P*(3-7)>P3x3>P*(8-10)>P4… where P are pattern numbers, P* is a random, “x” sets repetitions, and () sets the range for random to choose from, then Consolidate into a Track. Or even skip the random, just three copies of Pattern 1, one copy of Pattern 2, three copies of Pattern 1, one copy of Pattern 3, and Consolidate into next Track, without having to just copy and paste all of that into a blank track, one pattern at a time.

3 Likes