A perfectly acceptable limit. [midi on Pyramid musings]

So, I’ve been doing some testing and learning about the midi implementation that the Pyramid uses and I’ve just recently come across a limitation that is perfectly acceptable and also gives me an idea on what the boundaries of the note count are in the Pyramid.

The first piece I created a project for was Tchaikovsky’s Reaper. Added a swing plugin to mellow out the velocities and it sounds lovely.

I then created a project for Debussy’s Claire De Lune. Sounds lovely.

Then I attempted to create a project for Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue… the bar count in Pyramid (384) limits me from doing it in 1 sequence and rushing in to the weeds to try to get both parts of the original midi in to one project with different sequences and patterns is beyond the scope of the experiment…

I did learn a great deal about how to get the Pyramid to load midi right off the bat though… Using Reaper…

If there is a collection of midi tracks beyond left and right hand for piano… all you need to do is delete the empty midi tracks and files; Export merged Midi type 0, reimport the exported file and then export that midi file as type 1.

On the Pyramid create an empty project with the bpm of the initial midi file and on track 1 extend the track length to the length of the midi in the track… This can be done before or after putting the “track01.mid” file that was exported in to the project folder…

Eventually I’m hoping to expand what I’ve done in to a “player piano” type EP.

I am hoping to eventually find a suitable Gershwin song to include because as far as I am aware Gershwin is one of the few composers there is actual diskclavier transcriptions from his own playing… In other words… He’s one of the few composers in this day whose playing we can actually experience with our current technology.

1 Like

Seems [An] American in Paris is a suitable piece to include… The midi file includes “piano-roll”, which should mean it’s his actual playing… The velocities are very hot on this file though… Trying to work out whether I should pull them down a bit in Reaper or if there is a way beyond the swing plugin to tame really hot velocities… Gotta give it to the man… He played with passion.

EDIT: (clarity); It would seem that choice of instrument is very important with this kind of process… I switched out the spitfire audio soft piano with Versilan Upright Piano and it sounds much better… I will provide examples after I get a few things worked out.

given your experiments, might be interesting to try the EQ fx on the pyramid…
this allows you to adjust the velocities depending up range…
i think this you could reduce the velocity of all notes, or try to tweak lower notes.

Id also assume if you do a couple of these in series,with different base notes you could fine tune even more…

as i say, interesting experiment if you are trying to determine what is possible on the pyramid, rather than do more preparation in the daw.

Thank you for the tip… I thought the EQ fx worked more like the chance plugin… I will try it out.

Most if not all is in the spirit of figuring out what is possible through the device… I like to be pragmatic about my process…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.