Best Way To Midi 10 Vintage Synths into Hapax

Hi, what’s the best way to get 10 vintage synths midi’d into the Hapax’s one midi input. Obviously no usb midi. My main concern is midi latency. I was gonna get a Kenton midi merger but would that help with latency? Maybe the Kenton takes care of the latency? I’m not worried about midi going out since there are more midi outputs & this lets me create two midi chains that’ll cut latency in half.

Midi lantency usually comes from message stacking/queuing i think. Not really the chain itself unless you have very very long cables. So unless you play all 10 old keyboards at the same time you should not get too much latency.

1 Like

There are two midi inputs, one of them just needs a trs adapter. In addition, you can add something like a mio usb device to add another input/output.

1 Like

retrokits rk-006 is a perfectly suited solution

1 Like

I’ve been using a Conductive Labs MRCC for a couple years now; first with Pyramid and now with Hapax. It’s an incredibly versatile MIDI router! Has all the input, output, filtering, routing, etc you’d need for a 10 synth setup.

3 Likes

Got an Esi MU8 (simple settings and accurate clocking) and a MOTU Midi Express XT (flexible patching, but crappy clocking). Have been liking to the MRCC for a replacement seems like all i would need.

1 Like

MRCC is a bit of a game changer. The button per channel routing is so immediate. I liken it to why I like hardware synths over VST: tactile, immediate, somewhat of a muscle memory workflow. I frequently call it the most important bit of gear in my studio.

I had been using a Mio4 before the MRCC. It relied heavily on a computer. The Mio interface compared to MRCC is apples and oranges. Not saying there isn’t menu diving on the MRCC, cuz there is… on a teeny tiny little screen. But if you don’t want to interface with a computer and be able to make any MIDI configurations on the router itself, then MRCC is what you are looking for.

2 Likes