Using an external clock

This is way off topic, but I explain in my 2nd paragraph that an exception is devices that run off a higher internal resolution, like some more advanced sequencer. So we are totally agreeing here, I just needed to point out that your statement is certainly not true for “all slaves”
A lot of devices are really simple and don’t have higher resolutions and don’t “calculate” or do any magic with the midi clock. For example Roland TR type machines and devices inspired by them, or simple synths with an on board sequencer, 303 clones, etc…

Morning all, happy Xmas.

Interesting little thread (I’ve been doing some advanced reading).

I’ll be getting a pyramid in a few days time and have two ERM multiclocks running my hardware stuff with Logic on the Mac.

The ERM relies on, in my case, an audio track in Logic running a plugin that triggers a square wave signal that is fed through an audio output into the ERM to keep it rock solid.

One of the ERM boxes sends the studio’s master clock to a Mio XL which acts as a distribution hub for all the devices as it merges midi clock with note data etc.

So I’m typing/thinking out loud here about how I’ll set this up - I’ll still have to use Logic to trigger the ERM which will feed a master clock signal to the Pyramid via the Mio XL.

The pyramid will feed midi to the Mio XL which will then be distributed to the synths.

For the drum machines however (5 or 6 of them), I’ll have to think of a new routing as I want to sometimes use the internal sequencers of the drum machines kept nicely locked by the ERM and sometimes I’ll want to use them as a midi module being played by the Pyramid for Euclidean rhythms etc.

Might have to put a midi solutions merge box on each drum machine.

Ramblings…

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.