Track length problem in 12/8 time signature

How to get 1/8T ? :upside_down_face:

I wont start blabbering and hurting your brain about zoom and not being a step sequencer.

“1/8T” is time signature 3/4 at zoom x4.

Tip. Press and hold eSTEPS in step mode to highlight beats and eFILLS to highlight bars on the 16 pads.

Hope this helps :wink:

2 Likes

Wanted to do some triplets yesterday, and it was harder than i thought, i usually have my pyramid in polymeters. and i noticed that i could not use the methods described here, which makes sense, when thinking about it.

But i found another solution, “Repeat smartpads” in live mode have triplets, and their start point is always quantized, so i just punch in my triplets where i want them. works great, and if you want slower the 1/8 triplets, just change the TS to 4/2 or 4/1 to half the speed of the repeater.

I guess offsetting by 0% 33% and 66% would also work, but this is so much faster.

2 Likes

I don’t know how the pyramid behaved before 3.21, but now changing the signature’s upper number (in polyrhythms mode) seems to change the track BPM modifier (track speed), so quarter notes in this track will play with a different duration than quarter notes in 4/4 tracks. (btw it also modifies the durations of existing notes)

anyway I wonder what the source of this claim is:

@TomV ?

every reference I look up says 12/8 is twelve eighth notes (that could also be grouped into four groups of three eighth notes (not triplets!))

changing the signature’s lower number also changes the track length, but doesn’t modify the note durations, so if you shorten the track it might cut off some of its notes

@mah, I don’t see how it would be currently possible to enter triplets in polymeters mode

Hi there ,

I’m still not sure to understand how to do it .
As I wish to have a full track In “ 1/8T “ .

How shall we proceed or adjust it in Squarp pyramid ?

Many thanks for help
P

if you want six 1/8T notes in one 4/4 bar track, switch to polyrhythms mode, change your 4/4 track signature to 3/4, enter your notes with length “2” and switch the track back to 4/4 signature

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback .
That sound may very complicated :flushed::thinking:

There is not direct knobs to change the options ?

that’s how they designed it - most things are this or even more complicated on pyramid

1 Like

What about with the repeat function ??

What many people are unaware of when coming from DAW piano rolls (like me) is that you’re not changing the number of notes in a bar, it’s not as simple as we expect because we’re not used to the musical theory approach to rhythms. At least I wasn’t when I started.

If you’re changing the signature from 4/4 to 3/4 you’re actually using 3 of the same length of 1/4th note before the bar changes (meaning you are affecting the length of a bar by the number of 1/4th notes contained in it)

What you’re likely talking about is changing the subdivision inside a bar, meaning you want to be using 3 notes which are 1/3rd of a bar in length. 3/3.

1 Like

Hi, so learning more about this Pyramid supports both cases.

You can go into Settings > Misc > Subdivision and choose between Polymeters and Polyrhythms.

Polyrhythm = 3:4 will subdivide one bar into 3 thirds of a bar.
Polymeter = 3:4 will loop the bar after 3 1/4th notes.

@squarpadmin it would be a nice (extremely nice) feature request to move the polymeter/rhythm setting to a per-track setting, OR, remove it completely and make track lengths adjustable step by step and loop upon the last step in a track. That will just naturally create polymeter while allowing you to preserve the polyrhythm functionality without too much complication.

1 Like

excellent suggestion. I recommend contacting squarp support directly as they seem to rarely visit the forum.

The thing that’s different about this sequencer from others it that it uses music theory/notation. You have to let go of the notion of STEP. It’s not really a step but a note which can be any length. The pads are running at your zoom level. That’s why I like this sequencer. I can do just about anything I want… Until I get to the sequence mode - the sequence is only counted in 4/4 with little control. It took me a couple hours to figure out how to have a 3/4 intro going into a 4/4 song.

2 Likes