Test Screen after turn on

Sometimes when I switch on my Hapax, there is some kind of a test screen or whatever that is supposed to be. The Hapax then would not react to any input. All that helps is turn off and on again. I have no photo avail, but if needed I can take one the next time this happens.

Any idea?

Donā€™t press any encoders when turning Hapax on :grin:

1 Like

This has also happened to me, without touching any encoders while turning onā€¦

@Thibault_Squarp When I turn it on, I always press and hold the encoder labeled ā€œpress to enter test modeā€. Do you think this could be the reason?

I think @Thibault_Squarp thought you might be pressing somethingā€¦ as pressing encoders can bring up the test screen. he wasnā€™t being flippant.

anyway, we should probably avoid sarcasm/humour , in written form, esp as others on the forum, have English as a second language, it can get easily misinterpreted. (as I think we can see above)

so lets keep it straight nā€™ to the point to avoid misunderstandings.

ā€“
on topicā€¦
Ive not seen this, nor seen reports of itā€¦

but it sounds like the unit thinks there is an encoder is depressedā€¦
if it was happening every time, Id say click it each encoder, as perhaps one is ā€˜stuckā€™ half depressed.

but you mentioned power cycling fixes ā€¦ (without any other actions?!) so thats seems unlikely.

so Id guess a false positive is happening.
is this a new Hapax, or youā€™ve had it a while, and its started happening ?
perhaps its something with the latest batch or something like that ?

only thing I can think of is, if its happening regularly, try clicking all the encoders, see if this helps.
I suspect it wonā€™t.

outside of that I think id raise a ticket on the contact form ,
remember to include when/where you got it from, so that Squarp can see if multiple users from the same ā€˜batchā€™ have the issue, or its something to do with ā€˜revisionā€™ of the unit.
ā€¦ it may be then the firmware needs a small tweak to avoid false positives.

(also going this route, means in the unlikely event its a hardware issue, you will be on the right route to get it fixed/replaced)

1 Like

I too am seeing this quite frequently in the last few weeks in particular. Definitely happens with no buttons pressed while powering on. Bug? Took delivery of my unit in Sept.

My apologies to you all, not only was my previous message rude, it seems I was wrong as well.
I did assume there might be user error, but this sounds like a bug.

Would you be so kind to send an email through the contact form below, so we can work with you to troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen this a few times as well, but I think my headphones (or the cable) were always touching the knobs when it happened. Havenā€™t seen the test screen in a while now. Not sure theyā€™re actually that sensitive.

Sorry for sarcasm. Wasnā€™t intended to hurt anyones feelings.

To raise a practical question: What knob or button held on startup is supposed to bring the test-screen? Or is that a secret?

Please donā€™t - Itā€™s worth it even if there is the odd misunderstanding :grinning: FWIW I thought both @Thibault_Squarp and @Steeldust were being sarcastic and it made me smile.

Parameter encoders launch the test suite or a calibration procedure. Leaving this feature in the regular firmware has proven to be practical in the event of a suspected hardware malfunction, because users can check if the hardware behaves normally or if there is indeed a defect on their unit.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing this is a new bug in the latest firmware (1.13) because the 2nd time I turned on my Hapax after updating to 1.13 this morning, I saw this screen for the first time. Glad I read this thread last night.

I also saw this for the first time today. I know i didnt hit an encoder because I still had the Decksaver on it. A reboot and it was normal. The odd thing Iā€™ve been using the latest OS for ages and im just seeing it for the first time.

1 Like

I also have this problem every now and then. Iā€™ve got a theory it might have to do something with the rightmost encoder, since that one is super sensitive and sometimes registers single press as doublepress, maybe it accidentally makes contact during boot and triggers the test menu

1 Like

interesting, sounds like its happening since the latest updateā€¦
hopefully, devs can narrow it down, by looking at changes in last update that might be related.

I tested here, by repeatedly turning on/off Hapaxā€¦ sometimes quickly, sometimes with a gap.

out of about 50(?) times, I got ONE oddity.
funny enough it didnā€™t go into the test screen though, it went into the calibration screen.
this is done by using encoder 7.

my guess is its due to fluctuating voltages at power onā€¦ causing a false positive on the encoders detection, which later will naturally stabilise - this might then vary a little due to tolerance of components, temperature, power supply etc - hence different user experiences.
(this is completely normal behaviour)

perhaps something has change in the firmware in this area.
hopefully if it is just power on fluctuation, then Squarp can just wait a fraction of second, before testing encoder state (and also require a longer hold time) ā€¦ to avoid this ā€˜false positiveā€™.

i had the sameā€¦ i got a new version from Squarp that solved the issue. I assume they will release that soonish

FWIW, Iā€™ve turned on the Hapax a few times this weekend, around 5. So far, I havenā€™t seen this issue again.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen this happen this week. My observation is that sometimes I leave all devices turned on but power off my whole music rig at the mains plug. If I leave Hapax powered on at its own switch, but turn off and then apply power with the mains switch to the power adapter then it goes into test mode.

why_that

If someone from Squarp reads here: I donā€™t really need this test thingie, but can you please bring an update that loads the last used project at the start instead?

just dropping a line to say Iā€™ve seen this randomly too since upgrading to 1.13