Sync Setup Hapax

I still feel kind if upset I had to spend that amount of money on something that makes no sound :joy::person_facepalming:t2:…that’s half a Sequential Take 5 right there!! Although, for now, it’s working. Thanks for all your help and guidance @verstaerker @thetechnobear I’m going to carry on into the night shaking to 16th notes

give yourself some time… for me the two Multiclocks are one of the most essentials invests in my studio i made (after monitors and acoustic treatment)

1 Like

I take your point but I had great success using them for many years without a single issue. They’re a great problem solver and much more convenient than Kenton boxes.

I don’t use any anymore as I have an ERM (once had 3!) and a Mio XL

yes as i pointed out - it might work. But if it doesn’t you’ll spend some time to identify the issue.

I’ll stay forever with my recommandation not to use them. Especially as the threadstarter already has some issues , i wouldn’t recommend something that has a higher potential of causing issues.
Again it’s also clearly against the Midi specs to draw power from the Midiline.

I think a company that sells midi problem solvers is pretty sure they’re not going to cause problems within the parameters of what they are intended to be used for. There’s no ‘might’ cause problems. They do not cause problems, in my experience or of any other person that I know that uses them.

I’m sticking up for them as they are faultless at what they do and that’s quite a rare thing. I’m very happy to recommend things that just work as they should.

To each his own and I wish you happy holidays.

Please do yourself a favor and get some information how midi technical and electronically works.

Just to give you some idea:
from Midi.org:

The low-voltage signaling circuit is compatible with all legacy MIDI 1.0 receivers that strictly follow the specification. Products that deviate from or attempt to extend the specification may not be 100% compatible.2

A non-opto-isolated receiver is likely to be voltage-sensitive and the lower signaling voltage may not adequately drive the receiver above its input high signaling voltage. This type of receiver is also a possible source of ground loops, since the lack of isolation requires tying the grounds together.

Devices that draw power from Pin 4 may fail to operate when pin 4 is tied to +3.3V instead of +5V, as the power supply circuit may depend on a minimum voltage available that is greater than that supplied by the +3.3V transmitter. This type of receiver is also a possible source of ground loops, since the power supply must return to the ground of the transmitter. If the receiver’s ground is also tied to the ground of another device, a ground loop may be formed.

Simply said by using these devices you raise the risk of having ground loops wich will cause hum. And on top you you raise the potential of having signals not completely submitted/received.

Maybe consider that you don’t know everything. That it worked for you means nothing.
And i find it really annoying that you don’t just say - “it works for me” (wich is great and quite likely) - but that you say that i’m wrong without any reason why i’m wrong , except you personal experience.

Let’s not take ourselves too serially :wink:

2 Likes

I’m surprised to have my post removed - why was that please?

It wasn’t offensive imho - quite the opposite.

I’m only asking as in 30 years of posting on various forums this is the first time that’s happened.

To the point about whether Midisolutions boxes “might” introduce ground loops this may be helpful from their website:

> Will inserting MIDI Solutions products in my setup cause ground loops?

According to the MIDI specification, every MIDI connection must be optically isolated in order to avoid ground loops. Without optical isolation, a MIDI cable can create a ground loop by making an additional connection between devices that are already grounded together via a wall outlet, introducing 60 Hz hum. In order to obtain power from a MIDI Out or Thru, MIDI Solutions products do not contain an optoisolator at their MIDI inputs, however neither are they connected to a wall outlet for power, so no ground loop is created thus far. Subsequently the MIDI output of the MIDI Solutions product is connected to a MIDI input that does contain an optoisolator, so a ground loop is never created between any two devices by inserting a MIDI Solutions product inline. A MIDI Solutions product is essentially an extension of the circuitry of the sending MIDI device it is connected to. MIDI Solutions products with more than a single MIDI input, i.e. MIDI Solutions Mergers, do have optoisolators at the additional inputs, again preventing the possibility of ground loops.

Since the MIDI Solutions products act as an extension of the circuitry of the sending device, when sending longer distances it is best to use a short cable from the sending device to the MIDI input of the MIDI Solutions product, and a long cable from the MIDI Solutions product to the receiving device containing an optocoupled input (rather than a long cable from the sending device to the MIDI input of the MIDI Solutions product, and a short cable from the MIDI Solutions product to the receiving device). When making connections to the MIDI Solutions mergers, the shortest cable should go to the first input, and the longer cables to the other optocoupled inputs.

1 Like

everyone please keep your posts civil and respectful.
this is a place for everyone to share their first hand experiences.

3 Likes

Have you ever seen a company, no matter how good or bad their products are, telling their products might cause issues and other products are better?

Great, and where do they get their power from?

okay what is a long cable and what is a short cable?
Is 1m short or long?

If i read this i immediately think this has big potential to cause issues.

And once again, as you want to ignore this from the beginning on:
It has the potential to cause problems - they admit this - it can work or maybe not.

if you’re happy to play the wheel of fortune. Fine with me.

But if someone is asking for my advice, i don’t recommend their devices, as i want to avoid introducing other issues.

Please be happy with their products but also please accept that there is a good reason to use products with proper power-supply matching midi-specs without but’s and if’s.

Happy Xmas whatever your midi communication device.

I have just brought my Hapax out to India - I wonder if that’s a first?

2 Likes

From the first midi device to be connected. That’s the inherent advantage of this product - as much as you seem to say this is the opposite - the fact you do not have to plug in yet another power socket in the studio just for a midi merger or midi splitter

Yes 1m is short and 15m is what I would call long.

I understand your point that you have repeatedly made thank you.

1 Like

Hello. You said you have Focusrite going MIDI In to Hapax? Is the Focusrite the main clock? I’m sorry if I’ve missed something, but if Focusrite is clock I think you would need MIDI Thru turned on for clock to get out of Hapax. That’s assuming the clock on Hapax is disabled, and if not then I think I missed something with regard to what the Focusrite is doing. If using Hapax clock for all devices on MIDI Out A and B, that would work for all of them, but then I’m not sure what the Focusrite is for?

Hello. Can confirm these are good products. Only problem I’ve ever had is when it stopped working altogether because of a…disconnected cable from my CAT screwing around! That’s the last time my cats were allowed in. True story. I’ve had the same two boxes for at least 3 years now and I don’t even think about it.

+1 for the mioXL :slight_smile:

On this subject, how are people Syncing Hapax and AUM on the ipad? It seems Hapax works best as Master clock, but AUM insists on being master clock also.