Step mode observations and questions

no idea why not… check my vids… you’ll see i use them all the time :wink:

no you don’t record they do their thing when you click on encoder 1. (click to apply iirc)

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Algos are just not working here at all. I figure it’s something I must be doing wrong, which is why I tried in and out of record mode, but I can’t figure it out.

Generator is pretty obvious to see working,
turn up density… then look on right window for notes.
can’t really think what you could do wrong :laughing:

oh, one thought on generator, make you have min/max note set correctly, not sure what happens if you invert them.
(remember: hold down encoder to change lower parameter)

Curves is much more subtle, since you are applying to existing notes/parameters, so to see affect you have to look at the notes…

Every N on drum mode is also obvious. (but only existing on drum tracks)

Yeah, it’s just not working here. Also, holding down the encoder is only allowing me to change some of the secondary values, not others. Weird.

iirc, not all lower values are changeable, sometimes its information … usually its obvious (probably if you know :wink: ) which ones you can/need to change, and which not.

the note min/max is one I know… as Ive argued it would be better to have the lower number as a range (semis) , so that when you move the note… the range is constant… currently I find myself having to constant change both.
(this is already submitted… not sure if its going to happen or not :wink: )

perhaps shoot a video, as Ive really no idea what can be wrong…

only yesterday, we went on a bit of a wild goose chase for another issue… but immediately when I saw a new video it was like 'ahhhhh, you need to … " :laughing:
age old problem, sometimes we do things without thinking, so its totally confusing as where the issue may be.

Ok, I’ve figured out the problem. Some of these encoders have to pushed down EXTREMELY hard to register a click, even though they are making a “click” when pressed normally. It turns out my issue with holding the Chance or Roll encoders to reset them to defaults is due to this as well.

Maybe the encoders are defective, or maybe there’s some kind of software debouncing on their click that needs to be better tuned.

1 Like

Nope, it’s the knobs. When I remove the knobs, the encoders work perfectly.

1 Like

cool, that’s “good” news, in that Im sure a bit of paper in the knob caps will fix the issue.
Im sure they are sliding down to far…

also explains why you’re seeing ‘odd behaviour’ in a number of areas…

hopefully, this will clear up a few issues for you.

Yep, I was able to fix the click issues with a few layers of electrical tape just on the very end of the encoder shafts. Now, time to try those algos.

1 Like

Yeah ok I understand why you would want it, I like to prepare my music before hand not sure how interesting that type of editing is for an audience…
So for the sake of simplicity, me personally I wouldn’t need it,
That’s just my opinion, still don’t own a hapax yet to give proper input though

If you do it well, the audience doesn’t even know, since you’re doing it while they’re listening to something else. The simplest thing I might do is copy the currently playing bassline pattern to a new row, edit the new pattern to loop just the first bar, and then duplicate that pattern to a few other tracks. Now, I can super easily switch to the new row and I’ve got a super intense variation on what I had going before. But I can’t do this reliably unless I can edit a pattern that’s not currently playing.

1 Like

A couple step mode questions of my own:

1. When adding a step, can it be possible to edit Velocity/uTime/Math/Roll behavior in a single action (without having to press the step’s button again)?

2. In the drum step editor, you can mute individual drum sounds/lanes. But when editing a muted lane, newly entered notes play, and the mute acts as a toggle between the muted/unmuted patterns. Is it possible to change this behavior, or at least be able to edit a lane’s muted pattern?

I’m sure I will have some more observations/questions, but these are the major ones for me at the moment.

While holding down the step pad, you can adjust all those settings before releasing the pad.

Interesting- I was having trouble with just that- at least when attempting to adjust velocity upon adding a new step in a single action. I’ll try again later and report back!

I think I see what you’re saying. I don’t think you can modify all those parameters while adding the step. I think you need to add the step and then modify the settings. That said, once the step exists, you can modify multiple settings in one press. Maybe this is a feature that could be requested!

1 Like

Hi all! huge hapax fan here. I’m wondering if it’s possible to “trim” a pattern in step mode. Sometimes I have a nice sub-section put together with the loop positions and it would feel cleaner to me to be able to just trim the pattern to be the loop. Is this possible? Do others think this could be a good feature request?

3 Likes

you cannot currently trim …
raise it with squarp see what they think.

for sure, I do sometimes want to trim bits from larger loops…

theoretically, you’d just rotate pattern and reduce its length, but if your in the middle of longer loop rotating can get disorientating…
( it be nice at times, to just select a column, and say “make this 1” (as you do in Live) )

so, what I currently do is , select the region by holding pads and each end.
the copy, and paste to a new pattern.
I do this sometimes , when recording longer loops, and wanting to find tasty bits.
the advance to this, over a trim… is can take multiple bits.

(only thing, thats a bit of pain, is it doesn’t copy automation, which would be useful !)

1 Like

The issue is that pressing a pad down doesn’t add a step. Press down initatiates "Selection for multiple steps or box selections. Press/Release sets a step. So you need to set the step, then select it again to adjust the parameters.
To me setting a pad on press so I can adjust parameters is going to be done more often than box selection so I’d rather selection was changed to 2nd+press to start a selection.

Same. It could be nice if this behavior can be defined in the Settings. I so often want to adjust those parameters while adding steps, especially when auditioning velocity & uTime…

In that case, couldn’t you just adjust the parameters first, then add the step?

2 Likes