Recording a performance as MIDI

Do people record their performances as MIDI tracks into a DAW?

It must be not that complicated. Just have a template with tracks for channels 1-16, set up sync output on Pyramid, arm, hit play and go?

Thinking this might be a good way to lay out the skeleton of a song and then add details.

I do, yes, for some things.
I’m using a PC and Reaper in this set-up, and use a blokas midihub to pipe o/ps A&B from the pyramid to two USB midi inputs (Channels 1 to 16 on each).
One thing: You’ll need to send clock from the DAW or PC to the Pyramid, because most DAWs don’t sync well to midi clock.
In this mode I’m using pyramid and the midihub in a glorified multi channel midi looper with some generative overtones, and capturing all the midi events played or generated in the DAW for future editing
Hope that helps

1 Like

I do this too. A bit of a hybrid situation where I have the pyramid controlling a combination of hardware gear (midi out A/B) and midi instruments in the DAW (USB midi). I find it to be really versatile. The DAW (Studio One in my case) captures the audio from the hardware and the midi data for the internal instruments.
Getting a piece going on the Pyramid is much quicker for me than working exclusively in the DAW so this is a handy arrangement.

1 Like

Yes computers can be fiddly so having a stable thing like the Pyramid that you can count on being able to jump in and get going is what keeps me determined to master it.

1 Like

Exactly. Some days I want the computer to stay out of it, so the pyramid just makes for a dawless experience; other day I want nothing but computer midi instruments; and somedays I want a combo. Pyramid handles it all very well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.