Record - Punch in and Auto Length not working as expected?

thats exactly what i needed to know … i’ll test that later today

1 Like

FS-6 should work perfectly. I have a stereo 1/4" cable connected from an FS-7 foot switch A&B output into the switch input on the back of Hapax, and when I set Pedal hot to Rec, I can toggle recording with the B button. I’m not currently using the A button.

1 Like

the FCB1010 works well … Switch 1 starts/stops the Hapax, Switch 2 turns on/off record

thanks for your Input

2 Likes

for some reason, I kinda thought “autolength” might mean that the Hapax could make an attempt to automatically decide your pattern’s length.

would be kind of cool if say you were playing a 4 bar line and then you stop playing and once the Hapax detects an eventless bar, it decides that the length of the pattern was up until you stopped playing.

maybe just as an option for the looper?

or otherwise i guess i’ll just need to get good at toggling off the record button once i finish playing

I can’t get the looper function to work. Not sure what I am doing wrong. It seems so simple. I’ve got it set to “Looper Auto Length.” I hit record, and play a few notes. I did turn transport off (not sure why that matters, but it was mentioned above). Then hit record again, and it just keeps on going to the end of the length of the track. The track is not set by the recording points at all.

Well, okay, after switching to a new/blank project, I got is working as expected from the manual. I had been using a template I set up to use with Logic on my Mac and set something there that prevented it from working as expected, although I don’t know what that might be.

the auto length only works for the first run / empty patterns

to me this is still very limited und complicated
i’m not using it at all

i want to hit record , play along and then this thing ends after - say 1 bar - of no events
not matter if there has been something recorded before or not
(because cleaning an pattern means going to pattern mode and hit delete + pattern than going back to live mode)

I don’t mind that the pattern needs to be clear. If I don’t like the result, I don’t go to Pattern mode. I just leave it in live mode on the track I don’t like, and hit “All” and “Delete” to clear the track, and then try again. Very quick. I just can’t figure out what I changed in my previous project that prevented it from working.

well it could be that Delete + All doesnt delete everything, as there can be some automation recorded … aftertouch happens very easy here

check the automation screen if Auto Length doesnt work

If you hit All and Delete, it doesn’t delete the whole pattern, but only the notes.

You need to hit Delete + track selector.

After that, it will automatically extend the pattern length again while recording :slight_smile:

4 Likes

excellent, thats very helpful

Good to know. Thanks!

But You have to be aware, that means “TRACK RESET” and deletes all patterns of the track! :grimacing: :wink:

If You want to delete only one pattern (all notes and all automation) go to the PATTERN page and press DELETE + the pattern button! :nerd_face:

2 Likes

ouch… thanks for the hint!

So it remains a bit complicated to simply redo a recording with Auto-Length

… or as easy as can be if You record with pattern page already selected. :wink:
Otherwise it helps to keep the PATTERN button pressed to only toggle to the pattern page to delete the pattern. :upside_down_face: (maybe a little finger stretching is needed :sweat_smile:)

both isn’t ideal

Yes, and therefore I love UNDO so much if I mess up recording. :star_struck:

1 Like

I am just here to say, that in recording, even in modern day, punch-in will always imply that “the tape is already running”. Show me a DAW where it means recording from a stopped transport, and I will change my mind. :blush:

3 Likes

oh wow … why didn’t i think of undo? That works perfectly! Thanks!

And You can even undo Your forgetting of UNDO and suddenly you remember. Isn’t undo marvelous! Now I’m sure You won’t forget the possibilitie of UNDO again. :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Thank you for this. I was quite “flummoxed” by the initial responses in this thread but refrained from chiming in, especially since I didn’t have the Hapax back then. Here’s a quote from the Logic manual:

Punch recording is a technique you can use to overwrite a portion of a previously recorded track, during playback, without touching any of the recording before or after that portion. You punch in to interrupt playback and make the recording, then punch out to return to playback mode.

So either the label or the implementation is “misleading”. :slight_smile:

1 Like