Question on sending midi from synths to Pyramid

Hello everyone,

I have a question which is probably about something that can’t be done but I’ll ask anyway in case someone that knows more than me could help:

I send midi to the Pyramid midi input with a Crumar Bit synth, this synth is the only keyboard in my setup and it has midi in/out and thru (all the other synths I use are modules/no keyboards),.

Until now I had to use the synth as last one in the arrangement because if I use it to send midi to the Pyramid to command the other synths while it is playing its part it all becomes a mess of course because then I hear the notes that is receiving from the Pyramid + the ones I’m playing and if I turn the volume down to send midi “cleanly” then I don’t hear anymore what it is supposed to play.

The solution would be to buy a midi merge, a controller keyboard with midi out, connect controller and synth with keyboard to the merge inputs and the merge’s out to Pyramid’s midi input. I already have a spare controller but it has only usb midi port.
Also, I have space problems in my room and didn’t want to put another keyboard anywhere beside the Crumar.

Anyone has a suggestion on how it can be done?
Thanks and greetings

Buy a midi router perhaps? Check the forum, there was few suggestions /blokas, bome box/ (I’ve got iconnectivity mio >>> very good)

Hi, that was the solution I described as getting a midi merge and an additional controller.

I was wondering if there is a way to disable the keyboard/synth connection momentarly, so make it
play only what is receiving from the midi in and at the same time sending midi from the midi out while ignoring the midi data sent from the keyboard to itself, so the keyboard work only sending midi from the midi out.

Basically, make the synth ignore its own keyboard for a while and make it play the midi notes received from the midi in while still sending midi data from the midi out. No idea if it can be done somehow

If I understand your quandary correctly -

This is usually what Local Control: Off is for, but if I understand correctly, the Crumar is a bit lacking in MIDI Implementation so that option may not be available to you. Check your documentation.

If you already have a controller with MIDI USB, you can also get a USB to DIN converter - or if you have or were thinking about upgrading to a device that can act as MIDI Host (such as MIDI Hub (I think), or BomeBox, etc) then you can use that device for USB MIDI to DIN (or even a USB Hub) along with its other features.

Added bonus of having a MIDI Host in your rig is that if it is also powered, you can power and communicate MIDI through the Pyramid USB Port.

There are many options available, but unfortunately without a Local Control setting on your Crumar, you will most likely need to add hardware, or record MIDI with the Crumar volume down, then use the Crumar for any live synth applications during a performance set.

Edit to Add: I checked out the manual and it seems that when a cable is inserted into the MIDI IN, the synth turns local control off, but it seems to always be in Omni mode (responds to all MIDI channels). Which seems strange to me, but then again, it’s from the 80s and many things were strange back then.

I’m thinking that if you put the Crumar on its own Port, and only route MIDI Data destined for it, then you’d be golden.

That is:

Crumar MIDI Out → Pyramid In
Pyramid Out A → All synths except Crumar
Pyramid Out B → ONLY Crumar

If I understand the manual properly, then the fact that a DIN cable is plugged into Crumar MIDI IN then Local should be off, but Omni is ON. Separating the data destined for the Crumar to its own Pyramid Port should yield the desired results.

I think.
Apologies if it doesn’t.
Good luck!

Hello, thank you for the very detailed answer.

I’m at work at the nightshift now and I cannot check Crumar’s manual but I remember it says something about local on/off, I have it printed at home.
The synth is the Bit 99 (not the older Bit One), it is very comprehensive midi features-wise for a 1985 synth, it does all sorts of keyboard splits, multitimbral patches, midi channel selections for send and return etc etc. I’ve also put the modern Tauntek firmware chip upgrade that “optimizes” it even more for real time control. I’ll check the manual tomorrow afternoon.

I’m afraid the controller I have would not work, it’s a Nektar Lx61+ and it’s powered via usb exclusively, I don’t know if the adaptor can send both power and midi data, unless the Pyramid can power it somehow via midi. I also have a usb-midi interface (Miditech midiface 4x4) but I believe it needs to be connected to a computer to work.

I will definetively try the “local off” solution, it would be great if that works, I prefer to save space as much as possibile and avoiding buying stuff.

Thanks!

Ah, apologies.
I looked up the manual for the Bit One. Sorry.

Found the Bit 99 manual, but can’t find reference to Local Control.

(Edit stuff out about Nektar (I use an LX49) and MIDIFace/Class Compliant interfaces)

Local:Off is your best bet.
That is exactly what it’s designed to do

No problem, I’m looking at the manual online now as well and I don’t see it. There is a command that says “all notes off” and I must got confused with that.

I’ll look on how to do the local-off is possible or otherwise I’ll get a cheap and small midi keyboard + a Kenton midi merge and go that way.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.