Pattern starting in the middle of the pattern when playing sequence

Hello fellow pyramidians,

I’m scratching my head at the moment, a bit of context:

Currently working out a “song” using 8 sequences with 3 instruments playing 8 patterns, one pattern per sequence per track. Pretty simple linear structure.

When the song changes from sequence 3 to sequence 4 within “play” mode, pattern 4 on track 6 is starting from the middle of the pattern. If I switch to “perform” mode and play from there, the track starts at the beginning of the pattern.

What gives? I looked at relatch / trig modes, cycled through and that didn’t give me the behavior I was looking for. Thanks for a nudge in the right direction, much appreciated.

having the same issue with Song mode on Hapax – even though Restart sync is set to Instant, and Sync for Patterns is set to 1 Bar, some Patterns in a given Section will randomly play from the middle instead of starting from the first beat when that new Section starts. it’s seriously frustrating, but still unsure if it’s a bug in the sequencer logic or if i’m missing something about how Sync and the Free/Re-Start settings for Patterns interact

Updating after spending more time last night. I didn’t realize the trig modes were pattern specific, thought they were track specific, so I think I’ve solved the issue I was having by going through the entire song and changing each pattern on each track to trigger once from the start of each sequence.

I think part of my issue was that not all of the patterns were truncated perfectly to the length of the sequence they are embedded in, so it was finishing one pattern before moving to the next.

If anyone has a workflow designed for traditionally linear arrangements, i.e. same song structure every time, I would love to see how others are laying out their logic.

I know this little box is an incredibly deep instrument and it’s going to take time to learn it inside out. I’ll continue updating this thread as I figure out more, I know it’s helpful for me to read through you all doing the same in older threads, happy to contribute.

1 Like

yep launching clips the way Pyramid/Hapax does in Sequence/Song mode seems to assume you always want every Pattern to always start on the first measure of every given Sequence/Section. but songwriting “songs” doesn’t (usually) work that way outside of the DAWless jamiverse.

so to get anything approaching actual linear arrangement on Pyramid/Hapax I’m finding you have to do a lot of kludging to (1) insert blank measures on Patterns you don’t want to start on the first beat of a Sequence/Section; (2) create one-bar fill patterns for transitions if you need to trigger anything that starts on the last beat of a fourth measure; (3) shorten the previous Sequence/Section by a single bar to account for the fill transition; and then (4) hope that if you have any longer Patterns set to Relatch/Free actually continue to run, but also (if you’ve gotten the respective lengths all lined up) will reset and start from beat one after the fill – which is not always happening for me on Hapax.

having learned to sequence on an MC-50, which was much less feature-rich than either Squarp box in almost every respect, it still boggles my mind how much song arranging seems to have regressed on hardware sequencers since then

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.