New to Pyramid - Can it do these things?

Hello! I’ve had my pyramid about a week now and I’m loving it. It’s quite a different workflow to what I’m used to but surprisingly fast to learn. I’ve been through the whole manual and have been reading this forum. There are a few things I’m wondering whether pyramid can do that I can’t find in the manual or figure out.

Is it possible to automate velocity? I know I can change it per step and offset it across all steps, also apply a chance effect to it, but can I draw a velocity automation using the pad or an assigned knob?

Is it possible to somehow half-time or double-time a track? For example, on the beatstep pro, when you change the resolution of a pattern it’ll go half or double time. I love being able to adjust the zoom and programme steps in small or large resolution but also miss that immediate timing change.

Is it possible to change the default smart pad type in live mode? I like the repeat best so far and it’s a pity to have to change it every time.

Is it possible to apply the repeats on the smart pads to notes already recorded in the pattern? I can play them live and record them in, but it would be nice to be able to apply it post recording.

Lastly, when I assign the x/y pad to an effect, it doesn’t go the whole range. For example I assigned X to the octave parameter in the arpeggiator effect and the edges of the pad only go to -4 and +4, not -5 and +5. Assigning a knob gets me all the way to 5.

Thanks for any advice. I wanted to check here before sending feature requests to Sqaurp. :slight_smile:

I am also very new to Pyramid so my knowledge is limited.

I believe that when you want a volume sweep, it can be done in a number of ways. You could record an CC from you synth or controller if they are sending midi in to Pyramid. You would have to assign the CC value to your controller. If I remember correctly it is typically CC 7. Typically you can find the CC information in the hardware manual.

You can assign a CC to one of Pyramid’s knobs.
You could use the pad. I have not done either if those yet so I can not say what the steps are.

You can use the LFO midi fx and again you will have to tell the fx what CC number.

You can hold the main button (I believe it is called the encoder) while holding down the step mode button, and scroll over to the CC mode. Then you can go in and draw the sweep using knobs or (I believe) the pad.

Wha has helped me most is watching loopop’s tutorial on you tube a few times, then referring back to it, and then reading the Pryamid manual.

One thing that I want to also mention, is that the more comfortable/familiar I become with the zoom processes, the better my workflow has become.

I am not sure about your other questions. I hope I helped a little. Peace

1 Like

Greetings & welcome!

Velocity is not a CC type of message. It is part of the Note Event MIDI message and generally is not modulated the same way you would with a CC.

However, as @st.bede mentions below, you can create a CC automation that affects your synth patch - generally creating the same effect. ie if you have your synth patch increase filter cutoff (or volume or…) for increased velocities, you can also automate a CC that increases filter cutoff (or etc).

Another option is to use an Equalizer MIDI Effect which in positive values adds to the expressed Velocity of a given MIDI Note Event. And you can draw Equalizer MIDI Effect automations! Remember that “Equalizer” is a misnomer - it actually affects the Velocity based on Note Ranges (hi, mid, low). It’s a workaround, so a few extra steps unfortunately (ie if you want to increase Velocity across the entire range of keys)

Alternatively, there are ways to change the Velocity when you are entering data on the Pyramid. In Step Mode you can use the MIDI Learn and an external keyboard and play the key harder before pressing the Pad to record the Note Event. Also in Step Mode, and if you have the Touchpad engaged, the X Axis on the Touchpad changes Velocity of Note Events.

…or an Event Processor can modulate Note Velocity in realtime.

no

Not that I’m aware of at this time.

Hey, that seems to be the case on mine too.
Except I can go from -5 → +4 on the Y Axis, but if I Assign the X Axis to Arp Octave I can get the whole -5 → +5 range, but it’s a little tricky to get all the way to +5 (have to use the very tip of my finger).

And remember: for feature requests, be sure to use the form at Contact us | Squarp instruments so they can track requests!

Be well!

Thanks, st.bede, yeah, his videos are great. I get how to do cc automation in general, but I’m not using synths that have mappable cc’s. I’m using midi to cv converters to go to my modular system sending pitch, gate and velocity. So being able to automate velocity directly would’ve been cool.

Thanks CreepyPants! And thanks for the tips. I’ll def try that eq effect. I haven’t made my way through all the effects yet.

My next stop. Thanks!

A note about “half timing” or double timing things…

It’s entirely possible to do within the pyramid when you remember that “half time” or “double time” would just be a matter of less or more notes within a certain space. To “half time” something… say you have a 1 bar loop… make it a 2 bar loop and instead of putting the snare on the five and thirteen you’d put the snare on the 1 of the next bar… or something like that… Probably not explaining things clearly… but it’s just a matter of using your zoom levels if you want to double time something… and making a clip longer and more spread out if you want to half time it…

or am I just sounding crazy? [this makes more sense in patterns because half or double would be relative to your other patterns… though it would still apply if you have one really long track with double or half time sections.]

Thanks, no it doesn’t sound crazy, but what I mean is I’d like to be able to do it on the fly with a button press, on a set of notes already recorded rather than reprogramme a new set of notes. I think it’s what they call ‘scale per track’ on some of the Elektron boxes?

Seems it’s not possible. Also not a deal breaker, just a would be nice. I’ll throw it to Squarp and see.